In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

realistic expectations

John CoffeyJohn Coffey Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
Good evening all, I was in a discussion the other day and I was told that if one could keep all of his/her rounds in a 9" pieplate/paperplate at 10 yards that that would be acceptable accuracy in a real world situation. Also if one could shoot 2 rounds in around 3 seconds that also would be an accepatble firing rate in a real world situation. This is all based on a regular civilian citizen. Are these statements accepatble from those with more experience than I, especially those in the LE and military professions? Thank you for all of your comments. I'm off to the range to see if I fit into the "acceptable" catagory.

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Works for me, as long as the pie plate covers the boiler room and not his elbow.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, last time I looked at the stats on shootings- about HALF were in powderburn range- about 2 feet. MOST were at 7 yds or less, which is why many LEO weapon quals have a 21 ft line. And truthfully- from a DEFENSIVE standpoint, if he is 50 yds away from you- think you could convince a jury he was a threat to life, and you could not run? For defensive shooting, you could do worse than practicing double taps at 10 yds- but just my opinion. Center body mass holds most vital organs- in about a 10 inch circle.
  • Options
    drsckdrsck Member Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    Great words 11b6r!
  • Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll be the odd man out here and don't mean to ruffle any feathers. I was always trained to shoot at various distances. Most of my pistol shooting was done as far as 100 yds.which was the eight inch circle range. Pistols that wouldn't shoot sub 2 inches at 25 yds were either fixed or sold as unaccecptable. The early years of IPSC shooting was done at ranges to 50 or 60 yds with head shots common. The longer range targets were often "hostage" targets with only the head of the bad guy visible. I think it's wise to shoot a lot of different distances...you never know. And once you're shooting soda cans or gallon jugs at 100 yds. the close ones get much easier. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Ok but thats comp shooting. In LE or the military you'de be using a rifle or shotgun at longer distances. The main use for a side arm is up close and personal when the threat is at good distance get the long gun. You train at long distances with your side arm just in case though.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--The guys that couldn't keep 10 shots in a pie plate at 7 yds
    aren't able to talk about it!!!!--[:)][:)]--JIMBO
  • Options
    dhenry132dhenry132 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hitting something or somebody when one or both of you are moving and under stress at 7 yards is harder than it sounds. Know your weapon and shoot often.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    John,

I have never been one to quibble about anyone wanting to practice especially if they plan to or are carrying concealed for self defense. However, practicing with some paper targets to see if you can hold some number of shots in a circle in a suggested period of time will only impress someone if it keeps you alive.

I believe in the homework appproach, go take a knife fighting class. Better yet take two or three. You will get to see and experience first hand just how little that type of practice means when someone armed with a knife is bearing down on you, even from 50 yards. Time and distance become a very real thing when it's measured in feet and the attacker is armed.

Best.
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dhenry132
    Hitting something or somebody when one or both of you are moving and under stress at 7 yards is harder than it sounds. Know your weapon and shoot often.

I agree. Shoot at targets enough to know your gun is going to shoot where you aim it, but most definitely be familiar with the operation of the weapon. Things don't ever come off like some scenario you plan for in your mind. The thing that will keep you alive is being able to bring your weapon into service without thinking about whether the safety is on, or if you've one in the chamber or do you need the rack the slide. Between the time you come to the conclusion that you are going to have to use deadly force, and the time you have the weapon leveled off, you will need to have automatically taken the steps necessary for the weapon to fire when you pull the trigger. Practice hitting targets ok, but most of all, decide how you'll carry the weapon and practice the moves from holster to trigger pull until you could do them in your sleep, safely.
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    Ye olde Gunsite standards, with which I find no fault:
    (from the leather)(or plastic or whatever)

3 meters: 1.5 seconds 1 headshot
    7m: 1.5s 2 to body (paper plate will do)
    10m: 2.0s 2 body
    15m, go to kneeling: 3.5s 2 body
    25m, go to prone: 7.0s 2 body

Totally arbitrary, but a good standard excercise.

BTW, people in the LE/Military who are good shots are that way because they are enthusiasts, and the enthusiast pursuing excellence is always going to be better than someone who just feels like he has to qualify in order to continue to pick up a paycheck.
  • Options
    Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    put your front sight where you want bullets. you should practice drawing, getting the gun on target, and malfuntions/reloads as much as you actually shoot. AND MOVE. somebody already said its harder than it looks in real life. +100000

forgot to add. if you want to add some realism to training, try running sprints and a quick arm workout right before you hit the range. makes it interesting [8D]