In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ever own or see an El Dorado Revolver?

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2007 in Ask the Experts
Please help me with information on this single action revolver. Things like when made, quality, price, etc. It's a stainless steel single action in .45 Colt label "El Dorado", Cherry Hill, North Carolina. First I've ever seen. It looks a lot like the old discontinued "Seville" single actions. All information greatly appreciated.

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau

Comments

• Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spin off from United States Arms, Riverhead New York (73-74). Went through numerous incarnations, such as United Sporting Arms, United Sporting Arms of Arizona, etc. In '79 one of the original partners formed El Dorado Arms which moved from NY to NC in the mid-80's and in the late-80's things ended up coming full circle and the tooling, etc. of the other splinter company returned to the now NC based company which continued to mfg. revolvers until the late-90's

Somewhere in this whole "churn" of companies and products, both the Seville and El Dorado pistols were made. And total production of all guns, from all companies was less than 10,000.

Reported quality was overall very good. Values for top quality pieces run from $500 to $700+

The Standard Catalog of Firearms has about a page and ahalf "ramble" on the companies and models.

2470100-M.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    An interesting Tidbit.. UNITED STATES ARMS, Riverhead, N.Y., distributed by Mossberg...
    Handguns...
    Abilene Series Single Action Six Guns...Hmmm

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the information on the El Dorado .45 Long Colt revolver. I went to the pawn shop at lunch today and looked it over really good. It's around 98% with about a 7" barrel and wooden grips. No marks at all on the stainless finish and no rings around the cylinder face. I don't think it has been fired. Unfortunately there was no box nor papers. The price was $250 so I put it on lay-away away till I get some more cash and a purchase permit. If it shoots as good as it looks I'll be happy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Correction: The El Dorado was labeled "Chimney Rock,North Carolina" not Cherry Hill as I earlier reported. The first day I saw it I should have written it down and not relied on a failing memory, there was something else, but I forgot what it was...
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the condition you describe ... at $250 you've made a good buy.

2470100-M.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    nj76nj76 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    would you sell it at a good profit?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your interest, but this one isn't for sale. I like that it was made here in my home state.
  • Options
    usarmscollectorusarmscollector Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know about www.singleactions.com?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello made by FRED KART he still make 1911 Type match barrels made a Kart Conversion unit for 22 long rifle in a 1911 that was the IMHO best conversion unit ever made . Fred made good high quality products.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Perry Shooter,

My dad started US Arms in Riverhead. He machined the first of Fred Kart's Conversions. I still have original flyer selling the Kit for $165. Just bought one for $425 no frame to have as a part of my dads journey.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Perry Shooter,

My dad started US Arms in Riverhead. He machined the first of Fred Kart's Conversions. I still have original flyer selling the Kit for $165. Just bought one for $425 no frame to have as a part of my dads journey.