In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bethier Rifle Info?

AmmoRatAmmoRat Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
I'm out of town and stopped at a local gunshop and found a BERTHIER MODEL RIFLE CAL. 8 mm Lebel. I'm looking for some info as far as value is concerned. I think I can get the rifle for about $200. Is this too much? The rifle looks in fairly good shape. This is the rifle with a straight bolt handle and no magazine, which from what little research I have been able to do it uses a 5 round enblock clip. Does anyone have any info on this rifle and if it should have a magazine attached or does the clip load through the bottom? I've looked on line and it looks like a BERTHIER MODEL 1907/15 INFANTRY RIFLE.

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If it is a 3 shot model, you will not see a magazine protruding from the bottom of the gun. Some had an extra bit added to make them 5 shot.

$200 is about right I'd say.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 2?, is that it would only be worth $200 if it's in the original French military configuration. Compare it closely to the Berthier's shown in the on-line photos. If it doesn't appear to have been screwed with, and there's no rust or pitting? Might be worth $200?
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is the three shot carbine, the clips are damn hard to find and run over $20 each - I just sold one at auction for $31.50.
  • Options
    AmmoRatAmmoRat Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stock roles out to like a belly were the magazine would go so I'm assuming it is a five round. There is a small slot which looks like a magazine would go, should there be a magazine or is this for access to were you would insert the 3 or 5 round clip?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If the stock is a belly and is just open, it is a 3 round version. Though with the proper parts you could add the external mag to make it a 5 round version.

The clip is an standard mannlicher style enbloc clip and is inserted from the top; just push it in and it latches in place. When the last shot is fired, depending how tight your gun is, it might just drop out, it might be pushed out by the next clip. The clip is needed to function as a repeater.