In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Info on a Marlin 22 orginal golden 39A

kyshooter12345kyshooter12345 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
Can someone please give me some info about this gun? It was my grandpa's and he left it to me in his will.
What is worth? Is it a good gun? etc...

On the barrel it reads 22SL & RL Mirco Groove Barrel---- I have pics I can send if helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please post the pics.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [img]C:\DSC00734.JPG[/img]
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's it worth? Priceless. It was your Grandpa's gun.
    Is it a good one? You will find no better lever action .22. Starting prices for an 80% gun is around $275.
    Go to www.rimfirecentral.com There is a forum dedicated to Marlins. They have a sticky so you can use the Ser# to get a DOM.
    39's have a fanatical following. Your Grandpa left you somehting to treasure both personally and monetarily. KEEP IT.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SCovers nailed it, no better 22 lever gun. I have a 39A Mountie that belonged to my Grandpa.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scorvers, HenryOReilly, now me.

It was your gradpa's, it is priceless. I would guess he left it to YOU for a reason.

I still have the 39a that was my dads, and I've bought others. Very good guns. I enjoy shooting as often as possible, but if you don't, keep the gun anyway to pass on. Clean it and coat it with the proper protectants. See you friendly gunsmith if you need guidance on long term storage protection.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I paid $375 for one in high 90% condition. Condition will largely determine price. Value of your grandad's .22: priceless.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were several variations. Photos would be nice. And, measure the barrel length for us.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Reason I asked is my grandpa's next door neighbor who my grandpa was very fond of asked if I would be interested in selling it. I now have no intentions of doing that but I also don't know alot about guns either. I figured I could an honest answer on here.
    I have only shot this gun once back about 5 years ago and my grandpa I know didnt shoot it much because he was sick his last 5-6 years. Thanks guys!

The barrel length is 23inches from lever to end of barrel.
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the question..It really hits home..I have been told that at my young age of seventy, that I have bone cancer and so limit many more birthdays..Also just realized that my four grandchildren are to get a whole bunch of guns..That brings us to the question as to how do we instill into their minds that grad pa's guns should be kept and handed down rather than sell them for as fast buck..It worries me no end..I have bought wonderfgul guns that the little jerks sold them to keep themselves in pot or other worthless items and try as I might to persuade them otherwise,,they just wanted the bucks..My adopted nephew traded my Grandpa's 303 Brit. 95 winchester to a gent for a bolt action 30-30..I offered the creep a thousand above the value of the rifle to get it back..No deal..Haven't spoken to the forty year old b-stard in a civil tone yet after thirty years..What can WE do??
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better to give or sell them to non-family members who will feel as you did about them. From the other side, I have my fathers guns, but sold my grandfathers guns. They meant no more to me than he did. Sadly, it cuts both ways.