In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Crescent 410

lordharleylordharley Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to find some information on Crescent guns. My father has a Cresent 410 pistol that has been handed down threw the family...the only things i can tell you about it that it has wood pistol grip made from factory and the barrel is roughly 13 or 14 inches with a tapper..any information that you can give is greatly appreciated.

thanks
ben

Comments

• Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Crescent Firearms made these guns around 1932-1934, when they were made relatively illegal by the National Firearms Act of 1934. If your gun was not registered with the federal government in 1934, or during the amnesty in 1968 then it is highly illegal.
    Bill
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    As Bill stated, it is HIGHLY illegal; possession carries a maximum fine of $250,000 + 10 years in Club Fed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so what does one do???
  • Options
    gbeauvingbeauvin Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny that I should see this today... I was wondering earlier today whether a .410 revolver was considered a "sawed off shotgun". It was the only pistol that ever appealed to me, just because it was "neat". If the gun was registered, either in '34 or '68, is there any way to look it up, or would the paper have had to been passed down with the gun for the past 40 (or 74) years?

-Rick
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One destroys it or renders it permanantly unshootable if one wants to put it on the wall.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so according to the law a Taurus Model 410 "The Judge"..should be illegal..or does it get around it because it will also shoot a 45lc..i have also seen similar guns to what has been talked about for sale on gunbroker with barrels reaching 13 inches...is that what gets around the law is that it will shoot the 45???
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lordharley
    so according to the law a Taurus Model 410 "The Judge"..should be illegal..or does it get around it because it will also shoot a 45lc..i have also seen similar guns to what has been talked about for sale on gunbroker with barrels reaching 13 inches...is that what gets around the law is that it will shoot the 45???

They're exempt if they have RIFLED barrels - the law applies to smoothbore shotguns
  • Options
    edited November -1
    this is from ATF site on portion the law about shootguns

(d) Shotgun. The term 'shotgun'
    means a weapon designed or redesigned,
    made or remade, and intended to be fired
    from the shoulder and designed or redesigned
    and made or remade to use the
    energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun
    shell to fire through a smooth bore either
    a number of projectiles (ball shot) or a
    single projectile for each pull of the trigger,
    and shall include any such weapon
    which may be readily restored to fire a
    fixed shotgun shell.

if i am reading this right..to me as an average citizen..the gun that we are talking about does not fall under the nation fire arm act of 1934 because it never started off as a shoot gun or never converted to what it is...it was made as a pistol...sorry to be so trouble soom i am just trying to figure things aout and what to do with a gun that has been in my family goin on 70 years...it was found a in closet after my grandfather passed away.

thanks
    ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    is there a way to still get it registered by forms or local officals...i am guess probably threw a lawyer is the only way
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lordharley,

Welcome to the GB forums!

You're right to a certain extent, if you take just the portion that you quoted, your firearm could qualify as being legal. Here comes the big BUT, there are other portions of the laws that further define what is legal and acceptable to the BATFE.

One is barrel length which I believe needs to be a minimum of 18" for a shotgun unless you get a tax stamp for a Short Barreled Shotgun.

Two is the overall length of the shotgun which I believe needs to be 26" whether the buttstock is folding or fixed.

No, there is no extension to the exemption or registration.

Best.