In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 336 SC with Blind magazine

BullsAndClaysBullsAndClays Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1951 Marlin 336 SC in .35REM that is a bit of an oddity. I haven't been able to find any info for it on the internet. It has a straight-grip stock and a completely blind magazine (not tube extending from the forearm). The barrel is approximately 20 inches. Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle?

Comments

• Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As they say, welcome to the forum.

Can you post a photo of this firearm? If so, post a photo the barrel from the front of the forearm to the the muzzle; there should be a dovetail cut in the bottom of the barrel. Marlin made this model with a 2/3 magazine. RJSnow
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I was looking for the dovetail as well since the gun should have come with a pistol grip and a 2/3 magazine, but there is no dovetail under the barrel. I'll try to post a pic later.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess is that someone has done a good job of altering the rifle to suit their own tastes. The wood on your rifle is much slimmer than that found on a SC model of that vintage. Nice looking rifle. RJSnow
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice looking cat too, does she hunt with you?[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The cat, Joey, does all of his hunting indoors, like spider-popping, skeet-with-flies, etc. Unfortunately, he is terminally ill, so he is going on his last hunts in the near future.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Nice early 1/4 magazine carbine with straight stock in 35Rem. You see a few of them in this area still used for hunting. The old timers up here liked the streamlined look of the 1/4 mag better than the 1/2 or full mag. It appears to be original from what I can tell of the pics. Better close up pics of the wood would show if it has been sanded
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with 41 Nut as I am from Michigan and a number of old boys I used to deer hunt with had that exact gun in 35 Rem. Really popular rifle up there as the 35 is adequate for the size blackies we get up there and the shorter, handier, lighter thing was of great use in the thickets...and EVERYWHERE up there is thickets! Not sure of the value as I cannot locate it in my Blue Book, but I would conjecture about a %25 premium over the standard 336C...they are a little rare but not like the custom order Winchester option guns. I would hang on to that one!

On another note, I feel sad for 'Ol Joey. I hope he had a good long run at things. I just put down my 23 pound Siamese (he generally hunted large dogs...really, no kidding. His record take down was 125 pound Akita that looked like it had stuck it's face in a lawnmower afterwards) that I raised from 1 day old, and last year lost my Morris type tabby cat to extreem decrepitude...he was 23 years old. I'm left with my little tuxedo cat Jasper who's about 6. I don't care what anyone says, I about curled up and died after losing those 2 guys. Dogs, therefor, are now out of the question for me as I lost my first and last dog 15 years ago. That one almost killed me, so I figure I'm done with dogs as they just love you so unconditionally it's like losing a child for me. Anyway, scratch Joey on the head and tell him to look for George and Omar up there...they'll show him the ropes. Best wishes, and enjoy him while he's still here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After a closer inspection, I found the outline of the dovetail on the barrel. It was ground down nicely, but I could still see a faint outline through the blueing. This gun has clearly been modified to satisfiy one's personal tastes and is not original. I bought the gun several years ago, but haven't shot it much, so I never noticed any of these fine details.

I got my start with firearms in my twenties while in college at Marshall University. My fraternity brothers talked me into a 7MM Rem mag as my first gun, so needless to say, it was a rough start. Since then I have gotten many guns and reload for most of them. I am just now starting to have time to try to get out and hunt small game, so I haven't tested the power of the 35 Rem yet since I am a novice at the sport at this point. I hate to have a meanieized gun, so I may trade this one in on a more original one. Thanks of all of your information and knowledge.