In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looking for a 223 rifle.

Dangerous TDangerous T Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hello to all of you, the gurus and experts.
Need an advice. I have already purchased a 7.62x39 rifle - a milled receiver 21" barrel norinco hunter. Very happy with it. My next 7.62x39 rifles will be SKS and VZ58
I already have one 308 rifle a C91 - happy with it too. My next 308 rifle will be FAL.
I have a 7.62x54R rifle. SVT, and it was not even issued, all numbers matching. Took it shooting. LOVED IT.
I still, however, do not have a 223 rifle. (Actually I am looking for 5.56x45 rifle). After much thought I have narrowed my choices.
1. Vector Arms V93 (not vulcan arms... VECTOR ARMS). This is an HK93 copy. Pros: uberreliable and tough. Cons: expensive weapon and mags.
2. CAI Galil/Golani rifle. Pros: Uberreliable and tough. Cons: expensive.
3. AR180B. Pros: not too expensive. Cons. Plastic. Not sure about durability.
4. Arsenal AK in 5,56. About the same price as Galil, but shorter barrel.
5. Mac 90 in 5.56 with milled receiver.
6. Saiga 223 in 20.5 barrel (or maybe even Saiga M in 5.56 nato)
7. Sig 556. I have doubts about this rifle. This is STILL an AK (long stroke system/rotating bolt). I see no reason to pay for it 250 more then I would pay for CAI Galil or Arsenal AK.
Sure, I would LOVE to buy them all. However, I am not a CEO of some megacorp, neither am I a congressman or senator or heart doctor.
So I need to know what accuracy can I expect from them.
For example Galil/Golani review quoted 3 inch groups with Iron sights. THATS NOT A BAD RESULT for a battle rifle, right? I wonder how would AR180 and especially V93 would compare.
Any AR180 owners? Any V93 Owners, Any Arsenal AK owners? Any CAI Galil owners? Any milled Mac90 owners?

Please, please, leave your feedback and tell me about your rifles

My question is: what has the most reliability/accuracy out of all three. Please, note. I do not wish to purchase a "direct gas impungement" rifle like yet another AR15 clone. I just dislike them and do not trust them. I need SHTF rifle in 5.56, so ANY advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Looks to me like you've done your homework. What you placed on the top of the list is obviously what you like best. Go for it. Not to sound rude, but you can easily, although it will take a little more time, eliminate the "cons" on items #1 and #2. Best, Joe
  • Options
    Dangerous TDangerous T Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, for now, here is an order in which I like them
    1) V93. Bar NONE.
    2) AR180B
    3) CAI Galil/Golani (SAIGA M if I can get it)
    4) Milled Receiver AR (don't care if it is MAC90 or Arsenal)
    5) Saiga 223
    6) Sig 556. I just DO NOT SEE why does this Ak clone with stamped receiver costs 1200 bucks.

My biggest question is WHAT ACCURACY can I expect from them for the money.
    For example.
    Saiga is about 2-4 MOA with SCOPE
    Galil is 3-4 MOA Iron Sights
    I do not know the figures on AR180 and other rifles.
    Also, I have heard that AR180s are pretty fragile thanx to plastic lower receiver, is it true?
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I have the original AR-180 and I love it. I have had the B and it is not close to the original. My 2 cents