In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Removing live primers

jayteejaytee Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
Can live primers be removed from a case just like spent ones?

Comments

• Options
    Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very, Very Carefully! don't let them pile up. I just had to deprime a bunch of 45 L.C.'s that had been primed with the old Winchester "Brass " primers. I used a old lee loader decaping tool, with the individual cases set up on a bench block.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Yes you can with a normal sizeing die just go with a steady push on the handle and wear ear plugs to keep from scaring you so much when one goes BANG.
  • Options
    rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wear safety glasses, too. If they go off when you decap them, they send junk flying.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Soak the cases in a penetrant (WD40 is cheap) overnight before removal. This will kill the primers.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fire each unloaded rounded.
    Or fill the rd with water, dump it and deprime.

My favorite- If you are sure the primers are hot, Just resize and reload. I did that with a bunch of Israeli 308 wooden blanks and some Austrian 5.56.

No misfires yet in over 23,000 reloads.
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello "jaytee"[:)]

I have removed hundreds and hundreds of live primers from cases. I use a Lee deprimes all die and a Forester press --- no shell holders to fiddle with.

I wear eye protection and earplugs because now and again one goes off.

If you want to eliminate that possibility, then "kill" the primer as "Txs" has suggested.

Have a blessed day[:)]
    Remember God sometimes gives us a second chance -- I am LIVING proof1
    Steve Adams
    AdamsQuailHunter on Gunbroker

I forgot to tell you NOT to use the "punched" primers. Drop then in a container of WD-40 or kerosene to "kill" the primer.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've done it carefully on primers installed forward and backward with no problems.
    Wear glasses and don't have loose powder or primers around the press.
    I wouldn't do it on crimped in primers unless I popped them first.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fire em off. aint worth the risk. besides, you deform the good primer just a tad, and it might cause misfires if you try to reload them.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think we're going to see more of this due to the increasing prices of primers and other reloading components. I used to just shoot them off and clean the cases then load them up again but the new, higher prices make the attempt to save them a lot more attractive these days. I know, some folks will say that this is penny-wise/pound-foolish but the fact is people will try it in order to save components.

Just to be clear, primers can cause you physical damage both to your skin and your hearing so wear good glasses and hearing protection. Wipe your bench down carefully to get rid of any spilled powder. Put all powder containers away and clear a space around AND above your depriming area. Note that bobski has pointed out that these primers may sustain slight damage in the process of depriming and might not perform up to their original standards. I use mine for fireforming and some initial cartridge testing.

Also be aware that virtually all modern primers are coated to prevent contamination so trying to 'kill' a primer doesn't work no matter which solution you try. Even the venerable WD40 does not kill a primer and this has been tested, it's not just internet babble. The only method is to very carefully deprime with your equipment and go slow.

Best.