In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin Camp Carbine

akfanatikakfanatik Member Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
Need some info on the camp .45 and camp 9, how many rounds do their standard mags hold, and how good are these rifles?? are they reliable and accurate??

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a used camp carbine with a scope. The bases are the see through type. I was wondering what bases fit this model? Additionally the front and rear sights are gone and I would like to find a front sight replacement and a peep or aperature sight. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is the Marlin Camp Carbine 45acp legal in California?

Thank you
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I picked up one of these at a weekend gunshow. It has a Marlin 10 round clip. I seem to remember it can take other clips. I stopped at a friends booth at the show and tried a S&W model 59 clip but it didn't seem to fit right. Anyone know if I can use other clips, especially hi-cap? Thanks.

Pass on the tradition, teach a kid to shoot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently purchsed a new Marlin Camp Carbine in 9m/m and have the following problem. The gun appears to be short-chambered in that after firing, or letting the bolt slam on a chambered round, and attempting to extract a loaded round, it will often stick in the chamber. When I knock the round out with a cleaning rod, it has a very noticable ring-type bulge in the case directly below the base of the bullet. This bulge is big enough to cause the round to stick in the chamber. Several brands of ammo do the same thing. Careful before and after measuements indicate the 'crush' to be anywhere from .012" to .015", depending on the brand of ammo. The gun functions ok although accuracy isn't great. I sent the gun back to Marlin with a detailed letter and follow up phone calls and they told me there was nothing wrong with it. In fact, they said this was "normal" for this gun. They sent it back (with a new barrel), and it does the same thing as it did before. Marlin also told me not to fire Blazer ammo in this gun.
    Any thoughts? Anyone with a Marlin 9m/m with similar experience. Not what I expected from "Americas' Oldest Gunmaker"
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Camp 9 is compatible standard S&W 59 series magazines, I believe factory Marlin magazines had a 12rd capacity. I've seen 30rd aftermarket magazine.

The Marlin Camp 45 came with a single stack 7rd magazine resembling that of a standard 1911 magazine, I haven't tested one personally but I would assume that it is compatible with standard 1911 magazines.

A friend of mine owns a Camp 9 that I've had alot of experience with. It has a polymer buffer in the back of the reciever that the bolt hits during operation. I would advise keeping a replacement, and not getting any harsh solvents on the buffer. In my experience with my friends gun, the buffer had broken during firing and made the gun inoperable. The remnants of the buffer were cloudy and brittle, making me assume that Since replacement I personally have put a couple hundred cartridges thru the weapon with little failure and fair accuracy.

They are fun to shoot, but I would not personally recommend one as a duty capable weapon. More of a fun sporting semi-automatic. I would say that its reliable for a sporting weapon and accurate enough for carbine competition under 100yds if you were going to use it for 3-gun or something.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Camp 9 came with a 12 Rd. Magazine....It has been a lot of fun to own over the years. I have not had any problems with mine. The only real complaint I have is the lousy trigger.

Mine currently has a Tasco PPII Red dot sight on it.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    My camp 9 takes Smith High caps, my camp 45 took any 1911 mags.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    my camp 9 has a 12 rd.mag I also have a s&w hi cap mag. that works fine. First time I fired it the buffer disintegated.Brownells have replacements,you can use buffers for the 9 the 45 or the 922.
    check this for buffers wisnersinc.com
  • Options
    dbaraledbarale Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my camp 9, it's a lot of fun to shott and mine is 100% reliable.
    I did replace the buffer with one of these: http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=196
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello "akfanatic"[:)]

Thee the post "Camp 45 Mag" - by "Matchshot". It is now on page 6 of "Ask The Experts". A high capacity magazine is available for the camp 45.

Have a blessed day[:)]
    Remember God semetimes gives us a second chance -- I am LIVING proof!
    Steve Adams
    AdamsQuailHunter on Gunbroker
  • Options
    ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great little carbines of which I've several to go with my pistols that use the same mags. Factory made 4,10,12, and 20 round magazines for the 9. The 4 was a blocked 12 with a spacer that was easily removed. I run mine with S&W 69 series 12 rounders or 59 series 14 or 15 rounders along with the above mentioned. The 45 uses the factory 7 rounder along with my Kimber, Colt and Wilson 7 & 8 rounders. Also have some Ramline 10's and aftermarket 15 & 20 round 'sticks' which I find too long.
    If you can get one, get it as I think you'll be pleased.
  • Options
    skipjackoneskipjackone Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 9mm that was deadly accurate. Great little camp rifle and quick handling. The buffer is probably the weakest part of the gun; just keep a couple on hand and you will have no problems. The rifle requires a good cleaning after each firing as the 9mm powder heavly coats the chamber. You can download a manual from Marlin. These are getting harder and harder to find.
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of each. Extreme fun guns. All the mag info offered is correct, I've tried them all (except the S&W 69 series) and all work fine, even a 15 round .45ACP. Also have a 40 round DRUM in .45 ACP made for use with 1911's, it's a real hoot. 9mm accuracy begins to widen after 75 yards, using 115 gr bullets, longer range use 147 gr.
    .45 accuracy widens after 50 yards with any weight bullet. Both will shoot one hole 10 shot groups off a bipod at 25 yards using 1.5 - 4.5 x 32mm variable scope.