In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Essex Arms 1911 ????/

SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Have the oppurtunity to pick one up for about $300. 5" bbl, commander style hammer, very good condition. Appears to have an aftermarket bushing, no pits or gouges in the slide, sweet pulling trigger.
Should this be something to get? Maybe use as a shooter if I like or a bargaining tool.

Comments

• Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    Essex doesn't build 1911's, they mfg. frames and slides. That gun is a put together/"build" gun. Essex slides aren't marked so it may or may not be one of theirs, I personally believe ANY 1911 in good shooting/working condition is worth $300. That said, click the 1911 in my sig line. I built it using an Essex frame/slide. I have no complaints with them.

Ben
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, JB. That is what I am looking at. Will probably go Monday and get it. If'n I don't like it, I can always turn it around.
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCorvers
    Yup, JB. That is what I am looking at. Will probably go Monday and get it. If'n I don't like it, I can always turn it around.

You should be able to get your money back out of it, but don't buy it expecting to make any/much. Just like most put togethers, they'll never hold value like a Colt does. If you knew what I have in the 1911 below you'd choke.[:0][:D] But it was built to be a shooter, not an investment. Check it out good, make sure the safeties all work properly. Look and see if whoever put it together knew what they were doing or if it looks like the builders main tool was a dremmel.[;)] Good luck.[8D]

Ben
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I agree your pistol is only as good or bad as the person that put the parts together. There are no factory ESSEX 1911's Before Caspian and some other high grade frames and slides many match guns were built with essex parts . Just like the pistol smiths some of these parts were great and other had misaligned pin holes for hammer and sear or bad magazine wells. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"