In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

500 S&W Special

tonygrztonygrz Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hi,

New to this forum. Got my Shooting Times magazine yesterday and it had article about the Taurus 500 S&W mag revolver. In the pics they showed a "500 Special" which was shorter than the mag but they didn't mention the special in the article. I was not aware that a 500 Special even existed. Anyone have any info on the 500 Special??

Thanks,

Tony G fm Texas

Comments

• Options
    tonygrztonygrz Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a set of RCBS 500 S&W special dies. This isNOT 500 S&W Mag.
    The 500 special case is almost 1/2 inch shorter than the 500 mag.
    Out of curiosity, I Googled 500 spl and all I could find was that the cartridge was introduced to creat a less recoil cartridge to shoot thru 500 mag revolvers. I searched at length for ammo, brass, or anything of info on this cartridge and was unsuccessful. Do any of you experts out there have info on this round.
  • Options
    staind460staind460 Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep,

it is shorter that than the .500 mag[:D]
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Its a Corbon round that only Corbon sells as of last time I checked.
  • Options
    PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tonygrz
    Hi,

New to this forum. Got my Shooting Times magazine yesterday and it had article about the Taurus 500 S&W mag revolver. In the pics they showed a "500 Special" which was shorter than the mag but they didn't mention the special in the article. I was not aware that a 500 Special even existed. Anyone have any info on the 500 Special??

Thanks,

Tony G fm Texas

Here you go:

https://dakotaammo.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=113