In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Garand manual/guide

MoD_EagleMoD_Eagle Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
I've been having some problems with my M1 so I need to give it a thorough cleaning to make sure I don't have a bigger problem. I need a nice manual to help me disassemble and lube it. Any of you M1 guys recomend a certain book or should I just go with the cheapest one

Comments

• Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try www.surplusrifle.com and scroll down the left side to US M1. Click there and you'll find all you need to know, disassembly instructions with pictures, manuals for sale, etc.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MoD_Eagle,

I like SurplusRifle.com for their assembly/disassembly articles because they have a good selection of photo illustrations. Here is a good copy of the military field manual FM 23-5 for the U.S. Rifle, CALIBER .30, M1:

http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/garand/m1.htm

Best.
  • Options
    Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CMP also has some great step by step and photos.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use the links on the right side of the page.
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/garand/index.asp
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since you use the word "problems", you might want to invest in:

The M1 Garand: Owner's Guide - Disassembly, assembly, inspection, repair, cleaning, zeroing, and more. All copies signed by Scott Duff!

Written specifically for the M1 rifleman. With interest in the Garand at levels not previously experienced, new owners often have questions about their recent acquisition. Most common among them are: "Who made my rifle and when?" "How do I take it apart and put it back together?" "How do I clean, lubricate, and maintain it?" This book will answer those questions.

The civilian owner of an M1 rifle is faced with maintenance activities not encountered by military users. The owner must understand the operation and function of the rifle, and be proficient at dissasembly, assembly, inspection, and replacement of individual components. the purpose of this book is to impart that information to the reader which is necessary to develop the knowledge and ability to perform those tasks. Acquisition of these skills will inspire confidence at the work bench and rifle range!

$19.95

Neal
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second the CMP. I thought they had great instructions and pic's. http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CMP is your best bet. Doesn't cost anything and they know their M1's like no one else. Beach
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The manual by Scott Duff is the best, I beleive I got it on Amazon, if not try bookfinder.com
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    CMP or Scott Duff's books are the best one to go by. They have the most knowledge on the Garands.