In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A good .22LR rifle?

guppyinalightbulbguppyinalightbulb Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
I need a good/high quality .22LR rifle. I was looking at some CZ rifles, but have very little experience with the .22LR. Preferably something that takes a 5/10 round magazine. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Kimber,Cooper.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have heard good things about the CZ. The Ruger 10/22 (semi auto) is hard to beat for an all around gun. I have a Ruger 77/22 (bolt action) that I really like, but they are not cheep. Kimber makes some really nice .22 rifles and they can easily run $700-1000.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find yourself a Winchester Model 69/69A, or a Winchester Model 75 Target[^]. A decent condition 75 target will run you about $500 (a bit more for a high condition rifle). The Model 75 Target will shoot better than 999/1000 people.
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the Winchesters[;)][:D]

As mentioned the Ruger10/22 is a great all around gun and have pretty good accuracy, and aftermarket parts are readily available.

The CZ are some fine shooting guns too. They have top-notch accuracy(in the ones I have shot) and usually won't break the bank.

As far as the Kimbers, yeah they shoot great, but if you are going to pay $700-$1000 for a 22lr you had better be into shooting pretty serious to justify the cost. IMHO, if I am going to pay that much for a rifle, it would be a Winchester or Remington centerfire.
  • Options
    bridgebuilder41bridgebuilder41 Member Posts: 536 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get you a CZ 452 varmint 22,put a 4x16x50 scope on it,and have a gunsmith set your trigger at 1 1/2 pound pull,and try you some eley target ammo and you are ready to go.the cz varmint is around $365.00.the kimber is around $900.00 and the cooper is around $1200.00 to $1500.00.the CZ you dont have to go to the bank and take out a loan..
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    You have not told us if you want a bolt, pump, or auto. If you want a great bolt at an outstanding price, you cannot beat CZ. If you want a auto take a Remington 597 or a Ruger 10/22. Both are very good.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The CZ would be a great choice. I have several of them, and they are all shooters. The Browning T-Bolt is a good little gun, and so is the Kimber. They will both cost a lot more than the CZ. If you want to stay cheap, the Savage MKII with the Accutrigger is a great little rifle. All of these recommendations come from personal experience.

Check out this website for more great info. www.rimfirecentral.com
  • Options
    wwg55wwg55 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If money is no object go with the Kimber or go to the Remington Custom Shop for a 40X. Ruger makees a couple of variations on the 77 as well the Target model is pretty nice. not near as expensive as the Kimber or Remington. CZ and Savage are both great shooters as well
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    another vote for the CZ 452. i've had one several years, and it is extremely accurate out of the box even with basic ammo, and even better with federal gold match. can only imagine what it would do with eley. only rifle I own that i haven't adjusted in any way, except my dakota 76.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Well, I wanted an Ansch?tz with a good scope - and ended up with :

Ansch?tz 1451G boltaction with one 5 and seven 10 shot magasines.
    There's a Schmidt&Bender 1.5-6x42 riflescope mounted in wide steel rings.

A setup that is stylish, yet quite accurate and I shoot empty 12 gauge hulls up to 75 yards - and beer/pop cans up to about 125 yards.
    That's good enough for me.

If you want top notch accuracy, being able to totally fine tune it - Ansch?tz is the way to go, in my opinion.

If you want good/great hunting accuracy with good userfriendly adjustability, yet on a low budget - CZ will do just fine.

CZ used to spew out crappy guns by the thousands... but now, in the modern world, CZ makes really good weapons - and I'd bet that's the gun where you get the most fun/gun/accuracy for the $.

In fact, CZ are one of the brands that sells best here in Greenland - mainly because the hunters who live by the trade, are on a tight budget. So the overwhealming accuracy of the CZ's have earned them a very good name here - from anything from .17 to .375H&HMag

Some buy the Ruger 22's because they're stainless - but a "stainless" Ruger is only stainless if used anywhere else but at the arctic sea.

So if you find a CZ that you like - you will NOT be dissapointed.

In my opinion, it's better than Ruger, Savage, and in some cases even the cheap Ansch?tz.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for a CZ.

I'll be getting a 453 American in 22lr and topping it with a Zeiss.

They're now building rifles up to the 505 Gibbs.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for 10/22 before this topic gets locked. if you want good quality, go with Ruger. High quality, go with Volquartsen.
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    Marlin doesn't win any awards for style, but I've never had any troble with their bolt or semi-auto 22s.