In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Info on Reloading Die

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
http://community.webshots.com/user/RCleveland257
Haven't figured out how to include photo's yet, but if someone knows older 7X14 dies and has a minute to check the above for a photo, I'd love to know a little about this die.
It's marked ".222 R." and has an expander button inside. Can't find any markings to indicate manufacturer and cant figure out what the spindle on the top of the die does.
Anyone?
Thanks,

2023654340102765697S600x600Q85.jpg

Comments

• Options
    scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCrosby:
    Certainly is an interesting object! Nice clear photo to! So many guys send the blur.

Are you sure it's a reloading Die? It might be part of a set that swaged bullets?? Just a wild guess. Would you be able to post a few more good photo's?

I'd like a better look at that screw and wire and a shot from the top showing more detail on the "spindle" screw and how it's held in.

Several companies in the 50's made dies to swage bullets and designed them to fit in the press's that used 7/8x14 thread's.[8D]
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is most likely a die for a 222 Rem.. As to what Manufacturer I am totally lost. I used to have an odd ball die similar for a 22Varminter(aka 22-250) but don't recall it having the little spindle off center in the top, it did have the screw in the side to secure the decapper. Not sure to the manufacturer of mine either.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If none of our folks can help, you might try the reloading tool collectors site on the net. I have been able to get information, to identify stuff from them in the past.

Even though their site is identified with "Antique" reloading tools, many of them are quite knowledgeable regarding little known modern dies/tools.

Click on this URL.

http://www.antiquereloadingtools.com/
  • Options
    crazy charliecrazy charlie Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like an expander die.
    Does the spindle move the button up and down?
    It does not appear to be a Lyman.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Spindle, etal,
    Wasn't able to get the close up shots of components that I wanted to. Maybe later.
    The spindle is about 1 1/2" long with about 3/8" in middle threaded. The big screw on the outside of die near the top holds a wire in a slot in the die body (visible in the pic); the wire engages the threaded portion of the spindle so that when you turn it, it either goes deeper into the die body, or backs out. The hole the spindle fits in doesn't go anywhere. It appears that maybe the spindle related to some exterior adjustment on the press? I also got a small bright light shined into the die body from below. It looks to be contoured to size the brass and there is a square bottomed expander button (I assume) visible deep inside.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    p.s.
    Meant to start the last posting as "Scrubber, etal." but obviously had the spindle on my mind.