In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

marlin 336 trigger

rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
hello;

have a marlin 336 (30/30) with an ultra light trigger pull, as in just touch the trigger and the hammer falls. unsafe?? anyone encountered this problem? how to fix a ultra light trigger pull in a marlin 336? thanks for any input.

rp

Comments

• Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a older model rifle, if it is the same hammer and sear someone has filed one or both. Midway and Brownells both should have a hammer and sear for your rifle, replace them and get the standard trigger pull.

Emmett
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    --
    If the trigger pull is so light that it will drop the hammer if you simply touch it when engaging the trigger to shoot, then in my opinion the gun is dangerous.

To me, this translates to mean that the gun has a trigger pull of two or three ounces. Furthermore, a trigger that light will trip the sear if you simply set the gun down in a normal way, bump the stock, etc. Get the gun fixed before you shoot it. Something is worn, broken, missing, installed improperly, substituted, etc., or someone filed or ground off too much metal in an attempt to customize the trigger pull.

Take the gun to a competent gunsmith, have him tear it down (he can tear it down for inspection in two or three minutes) and give you an estimate to repair it. Go to Numrich Arms on the web and get an exploded view diagram to get an idea of what the working parts look like.

Be careful.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will second what Emmett and Wolf both said. Likelihood that rifle has been "bubbaed" by someone attempting to "improve" the trigger pull of a hunting rifle, or that parts have worn/broken. Get it to a smith pronto.
  • Options
    rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for info!

rp