In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CZ 453 American. 22mag or 22lr

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
edited January 2008 in Ask the Experts
Which would be your choice of cartridge?

I like the pop of the mag and the fact that you can tell you are shooting something.

I like the cost and accuracy of the 22lr. Although I really don't shoot enough to justify the cost of ammo as a reason for deciding.

I have a 17HMR that's a tackdriver. I want another accurate rimfire in the 22caliber class.

It'll probably be topped with a Zeiss Conquest.

Which would you choose?
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My take is that if you don't have a good 22LR then that is what you should be looking for, because the 22LR is so cheap to shoot accurately. If you are looking to pop small varmints then the 22mag becomes more to the point, but the 17hmr will do most of what the 22mag will. I went with a single shot vintage 218bee rather then a 22mag. So if you want a suggestion for a cartridge for with more oomh, then I'd suggest the CZ 527 American in 22hornet or the 221fireball. Which ever you choose I bet you will like the CZ line, especially their single set trigger. Have fun........
  • Options
    bridgebuilder41bridgebuilder41 Member Posts: 536 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would get a CZ 452 Varmint in the 22long rifle.You allready have a 17hmr,so you really dont need a 22 mag.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The CZ in 22 LR. But I like the idea of more zip. The CZ in 221 Fireball is outstanding! Both myself and a friend have one and they are outstanding rifles. Very accurate.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    22 mag. CCI plus V are the real nuts.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in 22lr try aguila supmaxhivel. 30gr at 1750fps...gets lr into mag speed range...been using these for several years & really pops varmints...been getting mine by the bricks at cabelas ...call-email & UPS brings them to door with a free 30cal plastic ammo case to boot
  • Options
    tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    17HMR made.22Mag.obsolete .Get a.22L.R.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tocamoha

I disagree with that. The 22 WMR are still less expensive, and if you have ever seen the Winchester Supreme 34 gr. JACKETED hollow points work, they are phenominally accurate, and will work on everything from mice to deer. I am not saying that a 17HMR will not, but the 22WMR has more Skull splitting/penetrating energy. I have two CZ's...a 452 in 22LR, and a 453 in 17HMR. I also have two 22WMR rifles...a ruger stainleess varmint 77/22, and an Anschutz Woodchucker...don't ever say a 22WMR can't be as accurate as a 22LR.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tocamoha

So does that mean the 17 M2 has made the 22LR obsolete[?]

I would go with the 22 version of the CZ. I have both, and while they are both great guns, I think the LR is more versetile and much cheaper to shoot. You won't go wrong with either, I just think the LR is a better choice. Enjoy your new rifle!
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    have a cz 452 .22 l/r & cz527 .22 H , chit can the .17 [;)]