In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

old british rifle

waitentogo2waitentogo2 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited January 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have tried to id this weapon without any pos results> Help I was told this rifle was made by the British around the timd of the Boar wars in South Africa this was I was told this gun was made by the british and given to the Afriacans to hunt with. It is I think a precussion type but perhaps not. I have good potos of it and can email them. HELP please.. JR Meredith "waitentogo2@yahoo.com"

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    You need to provide much more info. How long is it? Weight? Markings? As you note, a picture is worth a thousand words. You can post them here yourself too via a third party sight like photobucket. I mean, not to be mean, but you've basically just said, "I have a car. Pretty sure it came from Japan and was made for export. What is it?"

By the Boer war the Brits were using Enfields, but if it was a trade musket- many of which were made from modified older types like the Martini Henry- it could be anything.

First things first- is it a muzzleloader or cartridge gun? You said you THINK it is percussion- does it have a nipple over which a cap can fit on the right side of the breech? Is there any mechanism for the breech to open? Smoothbore or rifled?
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Sounds like he's trying to discribe a ZULU.....Post a photo if You can.....
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    DOSE IT LOOK LIKE THE ONE LISTED HERE? #88377240
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    I thought so! Your Photos arrived this Morning...Its what I suspected! Its a ZULU...!"ZULU" Shotguns are amonst the Most commonly encountered antique shotguns. They have very little demand on the Antique market or to collectors. Utilizing the French version of the British Snider breech-loading action invented by an American. One of the least expensive Shotguns in its day. They were, sold by Mail order Houses and Sears-Roebuck, Hardware Stores for about $3.00 to $4.00.......Belguim Makers hung the moniker of Zulu on this conversion trying to give a little pazazz and make a little more Money...The American Market coined the ZULU with the name of "THE HUNTER"...Under NO circumstance Trust Life and Limb trying to shoot this Old Turkey...In Fair Condition is worth around $125.00 as a Wall Hanger....
  • Options
    music_madnessmusic_madness Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey, capt'n, i shoot punckin balls with mine pretty regular with about 80gn of black powder.[:o)] pretty good shooter out to 50yds or so; i can hit the paper plate at least. would NEVER EVER put any smokeless rounds through it, period ![xx(] they're interesting little pieces of history for a buck fifty.
    PEACE
    tom SASS#75700

"...we're from Pickens; we don't know no better."