In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lead shot casting.

nick357nick357 Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
edited January 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi I am looking to buy a Littleton Shotmaker from magma, exempt from an export license which is a + :). Now I cast my own Bullets with a lee production pot using Range Lead I have been told that this is the wrong type off Lead for Shot is this true if so does anyone know a good alloy/mix to use and also I have a source off bismuth as it is now Illegal to use toxic shot for waterland areas what do they mix with the Bismuth Tin? or is it Pure?.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    ten-mileten-mile Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the original Littleton machines. I use cleaned wheel weights (I suppose you would call them tyre weights?)which is mostly lead with some antimony and perhaps a little tin. For Bismuth shot you will need at least 2% tin. Further, a shot buffer will help prevent the shot from fracturing when you shoot it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the Info. How is the original littleton Machine for producing Shot? is it a good Machine I am not after huge volumes of Shot just a few pounds here and there as the UK is very expensive the Machine will earn it's keep after 3 months.
    Happy new year.
  • Options
    ten-mileten-mile Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The shot is not perfect, but it is certainly good enough. I have the old 60#/hr model. Experiment with different coolants and monitor the coolant temperature.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi thanks, the Machine sounds good for me. Now all I got to do is hide it from the other half[:D].