In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger M77 .308 pricing?

tteksarbttamtteksarbttam Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

Can anyone help me with determining the value of this? It's a bolt action Ruger M77 .308 with a Leuphold M8-4X scope. I inherited it from my late Grandpa in "fair" condition. It works great, there is no rust and it has been cleaned after every time I've used it. It did fall victim to my grandpa engraving his name and SSN on the underside of it and it does have a few scuffs and small scratches. I am not a hunter and plan to use this to trade for a small hand gun.

Any help is appreciated. See below for picture.

Thanks,

Matt

IMG_0367.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to see a picture of the bolt handle. That may affect value a good bit. Where exactly did your grandfather engrave his name and ssan? The value could be anywhere from $350-500. The scope is a good one. My inclination would be to keep it. Down the road you might want it back. PS Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the response and the welcome. Here is the underside of the gun (SSN blurred, naturally): IMG_0368.jpg

I'm not too savvy with my gun knowledge, so I assume that when you're asking for a picture of the bolt you're referring to the exterior of the bolt? I have a couple angles just in case.

IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg

A guy I work with has a Taurus Millenium PT140 .40 that he's offering to trade with but wanted me to do my research first. I'm thinking he may get the better end of the deal if I do.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a tang safety gun. The floor plate where the numbers are would not be that hard to replace. I would keep GRAMPS gun. Should be worth $500.00 or so with the scope.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. Is tang safety any more desirable than others? Or is it more of a preference? I took it into a gun shop today and they appraised it at $200...seemed a little low.
  • Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    tteksarbttam
    IMHO---I would keep the scope, or sell it separately. Why would anyone want a gun with someone elses name carved on the floorplate in plain view. Bare gun with Ruger rings---$350. Scope $150 to $225. HAWKSHAW
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you have is a "tang safety", "FLAT BOLT" The bolt shape is the most desireable... The floorplate can be easily replaced, to eliminate the engraving "problem?" I am over 65 yrs. old and have no firearms that were pased down by kinfolk...I sure wish I did....I'd keep it to pass on to kids or grand kids...If not...Put up on the GB auction it should bring at least $500 + without the scope...If you really have to sell it....
    Best of luck...
    JIM.....................
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just sold a 77 MK11 with no scope rings only for $ 475. Yours being a flat bolt tange safety is worth much more.The guy with the Taurus is not giving you a good deal.
  • Options
    pahunter54pahunter54 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just sold my M77 chambered for 7MM Rem Mag with a Tasco scope and I got $585. Mine was the same safety as yours and all wood

Good luck
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a tang safety M77 in .25/06 with a Leupold Vari XII scope on it at a gun store for $395--mine is in similar condition as yours except for the engraving. You will never get full value of it by selling or trading it at a gun shop or gun show to a dealer. You will be lucky to get 1/2 the actual value. You are much better off selling it locally in the paper or right here on gunbroker. The "engraving" can be fixed but it does deflate the value of the rifle a little. Scopes rarely add a ton to the price. In THIS economy I'd bet you will sell it quickly if you price it in the $400-$450 range--price it above that and you will probably be sitting on it for a long time. No way in hell would I do a straight across trade for that Taurus. He needs to float you some cash-IMO you would be worlds ahead by selling the Ruger if you just don't want something from Grandpa and get something a little better than that Taurus.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info everyone, you really helped me a lot. I think I'll clean it up some more, find somewhere to replace the engraved floorplate and put it up for auction here on GB.

As for the Grandpa thing - he was actually a second grandpa that I wasn't very close to, so I don't have any sentimental connection with it. My dad assumed it when he passed and gave it to me.