In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Springfield XD40

nitromethanenitromethane Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
OK dont laugh, but this really happened..... i got a new XD40 for christmas and my wifes little bulldog puppy got it and chewed the handle up on it. The clip still slides in & out fine, and after an inspection by a local gunshop it shoots as good as ever. My question is this; SA told me a replacement frame is not an option because "that is the gun" in their words. Is there another option to get this handle area cosmetically fixed? (and no the dog wasnt killed, althought the thought did cross my mind)

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,067 ******
    edited November -1
    That really suxs. But I'm sure you know that already. I suggest contacting Springfeild again and see if you sent them the frame assly.,if they could replace it with a new one stamped with the serial number of the original and they then destroy the original. I'm sure it will cost you,if they'll do it. Let us know what turns out.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Outfit named Robar or something similar in Phoenix specializes in altering the plastic grips on Glocks. Since plastic is plastic, I imagine they can also do SA's. I went over to their place one time and they showed me samples. Contact them, (send them pictures), and inquire what they can do for your pistol, to disguise what the doggy did.
  • Options
    Jayhawk2218Jayhawk2218 Member Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to know how the dog got a hold of it?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, I'll buy it if you can't get it fixed. Of course the price will depend on the actual damage.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sodering iron... Practice on some plastic first, but you could stipple it yourself.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jayhawk2218
    I'd like to know how the dog got a hold of it?

That's my thought too!!!
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ed, I'm with you on that one!? Puppies are like kids...gotta' watch them like a hawk, you know! Nitro,Could you post photo's of the grip frame? It seems to me (dependant upon bulldog breed)that the little guy could have done irreperable damage, even if the firearm functions. In other words, if the grip has to be thinned, it might make it down to the steel inserts?
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to place another vote for Robar. I've seen some of their work in magazines and you might have just the right excuse for a little custom grip work [:D]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on how bad the grip was chewed and where. So long as the grip isn't totally chewed through or mangled, this is probably fixable.

If its a few surface marks, they could be covered with stippling, or sanded/machined away. As mentioned, there are plenty of people who do this sort of thing with Glock frames. You could do it yourself with a soldering iron and/or dremel if you're careful.

It might be "cute" to try and replicate a "dog-bite" pattern if you can. Heck, you've got lemons. . .made some lemonade!

Small gaps/holes could be filled with blackened epoxy or some other filler, then sanded flush.

Alternatively, you might just cover the entire grip with a $10 grip sleeve and be done with it. EG:

xd45grip3.jpg

Personally, if the marks are just superficial, I'd leave them untouched to give the gun "character" and as a continuous reminder that leaving guns lying around isn't a particularly bright idea.