In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Walther P-38 Help Needed

gregwgregw Member Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
OK Guys, you have been very helpful so far so let's see if you can keep it going. I have a Walther P-38 or at least I believe it is a Walther even though it does not say it anywhere. Anyway, it has strange markings that I do not know about....Markings are as follows

1) Left side of frame P-38 also has what appears to be a byf

2) Left side above trigger guard also has the letters "WaA135" with what appears to be an eagle over it

3) Right side has the letters WaA135 on both sides of an eagle with something under it

I also have with a matching holster with German names in it as well as a second magazine and a pouch to hold a single shell.
I will try to post photos but I am not sure if my camera can detail it good enough. Can someone tell me if this is a Post or Pre war pistol and what is the approximate value

DSCF13151.JPG
DSCF1312.JPG
DSCF1314.JPG
DSCF1313.JPG

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    forgot to mention that the shell that is inside the little pouch is marked 9 m/m LUGER..does this make a difference on what caliber the gun is?
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow...neat. A nice later war bringback gun. The Byf means Oberndorf, or, Mauser as the factory was known. The Eagle and 135 are the correct Waffenampts, and the Grey finish is perfect as far a pohosphate coloration goes. The holster...I am NOT an authority on these, but the names inscribed inside the flap are period to be sure, and I bet an avid WWII collector would go ape-poop over that one! All in all, from the first blush, I say that is a bring-back rig most collectors would cherish! I believe the little pouch is for the combo tool and loader, not for a single, "spare" round. As much as 1k for that set-up with bring-back papers.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    P 38's with the "byf" marking were made by Mauser, not Walther. Quite a number were produced during 1944, so there not particularly rare.

The WaA 135 marking was the inspection stamp assigned to the chief inspector at the Mauser factory.

The holster was originally manufactured for the Luger pistol not the P 38. The small pouch under the flap was for the magazine loading tool specifically used with Luger magazines.

The Parkerized finish P 38's are sought after by collectors to a considerable extent. This due to to a marketing ploy used by bygone gun dealers who took to calling this variation, "the gray ghost". Although this had no basis in fact regarding it's use by the German military, it resonated with U.S. collectors for some reason?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so how would I go about finding a value of it? Where would I look to find the proper description? Do I look under the Mauser section or German war guns in the Blue Book?
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    German arsenal produced guns. There is a long section in Schwings (Standard Catalog of Military arms) book that lists the variations in fair detail. I told you I thought it was worth about a grand earlier, and I stick to that. Also, do you have the bring-back papers? That always adds value. Since this is a fairly rare variation, value may be higher than non mixed parts guns from the same approximate period of production...in other words, the mixed blue/phosphate may not be recognized in many if any books at all. The market determines what $ it gets, so you could always list it with an impossibly high reserve and see where it goes, although since many like myself won't bother with reserve auctions, it may not be a really good representation of what some would pay.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    gregw......the first thing we need to find out is do all the numbers match on the P38? I don't read that anywhere. You have been carefull to note the Waffenampts but nothing about the gun's actually numbers. It evidently is a dual tone P38 which does bring a premium to collectors if the other things like matching #'s are there and it is in 95% or so shape...for that we would need much more detailed photos that what you have provided. The holster is a mismatched P08 leather that has seen better days with quite a few serial numbers and names scribbled inside by who knows? Prewar? Wartime? Afterwar? Who knows. The four digit numbers inside could be gun numbers of previous residents...again, who knows. Condition is everything and it has seen better days. If we had the markings on the back of the holster we could tell more as to maker and such. So, we need more information to give you a better value[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    understood, all numbers do match, the number on the side of teh receiver is th esame number that is located on the front under the barrel which I am gathering is the serial number. The gun is in good condition wit hsome minor scratches but nothing too serious. I am not an expert on grading but iwould consider it to be somewhere in the %90-95 area...
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gregw
    understood, all numbers do match, the number on the side of teh receiver is th esame number that is located on the front under the barrel which I am gathering is the serial number. The gun is in good condition wit hsome minor scratches but nothing too serious. I am not an expert on grading but iwould consider it to be somewhere in the %90-95 area...

gregw...since you are looking for value, if it was my gun and 95% condition, all matching, two magazines, dualtone, I would not sell it for less than $1500 (1k for the gun with the 50% premium for being a dualtone). For top dollar I would throw in the PO8 sans tool (not worth more than $100 in that condition). Now, you should know the market is down so it is not a sellers market but rather a buyers so you should be prepared to go down in price for a quick sale unless a collector comes in quick wanting to add to a P38 collection (no thanks, I have one). Hope this helps...good luck[^] and Happy New Year!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks Gary, you also...Much helpful info