In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good rifle for North Dakota?

ScalfScalf Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
My brother moved to North Dakota about a year ago, and is wanting to get into hunting next year. I live in North Carolina and have been hunting since I was 11. Like I said though, I live in North Carolina where shots are usually inside 100 yards and a 30-30 is about all you need.

Out in North Dakota a 350 yard shot is a "normal" shot. He was asking me what to get, and I recommended either a 270 or a 30-06. I am not an expert on ballistics and all, but I know a 270 is a pretty flat shooting rifle, and has a heavy enough bullet that it wont blow around too much from wind, unlike the .243. So what would you recommend?

Comments

• Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    300 Weatherby would also be a good choice.
  • Options
    Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am from West Central North Dakota. My brother and I use a 300 Win Mag. 30-06 is pretty much the same rifle and same result for other neighbors that use it. Check every pickup and you will see 30-30, .270, 25-06, 30-06, 7mm, .243. They all work. Each person will swear there caliber works better than any other.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like a lot of people like the bigger 30 cals. For out to 400 yards or less, why. 270 WSM would work great. I prefer the 7mm, would be a nice choice. Don't count out the 257 or 243, many use very effectivly.

I like a little less recoil, those would be flat shooting, don't need to beat yourself up either.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm rem.mag...
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would likely go for the 300 win mag of those mentioned, but what does he hunt? If he is Prarie Doggin' then a 300 win mag is waaaay over the top. Something along the lines of a 22-250 or even a fast twist 223 would be much better. If he is antelope or mule deer hunting, then the 300 win mag would fit the bill although for antelope, to limit meat damage I would consider the 25-06.

With all the above mentioned there is a common theme...availability of ammo nearly everywhere. The short mags are fine, but not as prevelent on the shelf as any of the others I mentioned.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You didn't mention your brother's hunting/shooting experience but I wouldn't suggest a 300 anything magnum for a beginner. The 25/06 is a good longrange deer rifle and works very well for coyotes and smaller stuff although it's a bit much for prairie dogs.
  • Options
    ScalfScalf Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for not mentioning that he will be hunting deer mostly. I am thinking that the 300 win mag wins. If not that then a 270, mag or not. I have a 270 wsm that I rarely use hunting anymore because its a little much for NC. Turns alot of meat into jelly. lol. I stick with the 30-30 lever mostly. Ohh and im not giving him my 270 wsm, I just realized that it seemed like thats what I was saying. lol.

Ohh, on another note, I know a 300 win mag and 270 would blow a prairie dog away, beyond recognition, but whats wrong with that? Do people eat them or something? Or sell the pelts? or what?
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My concern would be the difference between a $10 box of 223 versus a $40 box of 300 win mag. Mainly a matter of economy. Also, rounds like the 22-250,222 and 223 are known for their accuracy and lower report than a big mag. Having said that I have a friend who took his Mac 50 to Wyoming last year as a fun break from his "223 poodle popper" while prairie dog hunting. You don't get many recognizable parts with that kind of overkill!
  • Options
    clinteasterlingclinteasterling Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO I would get the 7mm08 or the 25-06. However, if he "needs" a 30 cal. I would recomend a 300WSM. It has better ballastics than the 300 win out to 400 yd and the recoil is easier on the shoulder.