In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Weaver scope mounts

evilwest1939evilwest1939 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
Ok Guys
I got a silly question. I'm one of those who trys to avoid those events that seem to allways happen. Like your scope coming lose for what ever reason and sliding off your weaver mount. Are there any accessories or suggestions (Other than "TIGHTEN THE DAMN THING STUPID!) that would not allow this to happen?

Comments

• Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you having problems with the scope coming off the Weaver base? Or problems with the rings, or the base coming loose off the receiver? And what type gun & caliber is in question?
  • Options
    evilwest1939evilwest1939 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problem. Provention. My rifle is a 7.62x54r PSL. It's got a pretty good recoil. Just don't want the scope to slide off if for some reason the clamps come loose.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what kind of mount you have but with Weaver bases & rings, the scope can't "slide off". The ring crossbolts engaging the cuts in the bases prevent this. If you're concerned with the scope moving inside the rings, clean both the inside of the rings and the scope tube with alcohol and apply some locktite to the surfaces. I've not had much trouble with scope movement as long as I use moderately good quality rings.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lap the rings to insure you have good overall contact between the scope body and the rings. You should use around 27 inch pounds on these, but your tastes may vary; just don't dent the scope body! You may wish to use blue loctite (the red is too aggresive in my humble experience) although I don't. Somewhere up over 30 inch pounds for the base screws; as befor, loctite and tighten to your tastes.

You might want to use a piccatinney base insted of Weaver. Gives you much more flexibility and at the same time you still have cross slots and can avoid mount movement that way.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Just buy a set of Burris Signature rings and you'll never ever loose the scope off the base...
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Bruce, I agree that the Burris Signature rings are indeed nice, but still caution against cavalierly attaching anything to the base. I use Warne rings these days, and have had excellent results with them; as a matter of fact I am on my way to Cabella's in a few minutes to pick up a pair of 30mm rings for my tactical scope that is going on a Savage...always make sure you have adequate tensioning on those mount screws! The most common issue I see at the range where I work is scope bodies travelling forwards under recoil. The worst culprit? Leupold windage adjustable(and their clones) rear bases. Everybody at Gander and BPS seems to get the damned rear screws about 80 percent of the way into the curved mounting grooves on the bottom of the rear base and call it a day. I saw this FOUR times during sight-in season this year...all Gander Mountain mounted. The result is that the rear ring stayed put on the scope body while the front simply slid forward on the scope body until it hit the bell and the weight of the scope simply ripped (over the course of between 5 and 20 rounds) the rear curved mounting slots to smithereens. The windage adjustable mounts are a good design...you just have to know what the hell your doing or the results will eventually be catching the scope with your eye socket...not much fun from what I have seen!