In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

nice colt SAA

recoilnutrecoilnut Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
Anyone care to give input on this piece? What I know so far is that it's a Colt SAA 71/2 in. manufactured in 1876, probably .45 Colt. All 5 serial numbers match. As far as I can tell, all parts are original. Finish is original nickel, about 75% on barrel and frame, maybe 15-20% on cylinder and grip straps. Screw heads are in good shape with minor deformation. Grip is walnut, fits perfectly, minor dings, finish appears to be oiled, no varnish visible. Bore is dark with strong rifling, there is virtually no pitting anywhere on the piece. Action is crisp and tight with good locking in all three hammer positions.Cylinder fit is tight and locks well. There are no government or inspection stamps anywhere on the piece, so along with nickel finish, I assume it was a straight civilian sale. All stampings are clear and it has two-line patents stamps on frame. Colt history letter is pending. It has a Geo. Lawrence Co. plain leather snap strap holster that I believe is 1930-1940 manufacture. To you expert collectors: have I got all this right? How much would this piece be worth?

Picture album link: http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/recoilnut/Colt SAA 1876/

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    That's a good looking Colt. I have my opinion but I'm going to wait for "Old Colts" to evaluate it. He should be along shortly.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I can see in your pictures it appears that you have an outstanding early Single Action. It is nice to see that long style bordered knurling on the hammer spur! [:)]

The only thing I can initially see that might not be original is the finish on the grips. They appear to me to have been possibly lightly sanded and refinished long ago.

I'll study the pictures a little more before I post any final conclusions and suggest a value.

Really nice old Single Action!

EDIT 1: recoilnut - Is the serial number of the gun written in ink on the spacer between the grip panels and if so, does it match the gun?

EDIT 2: recoilnut - Is there a small hole in the head of the base pin? Early Single Actions like this should have one.

EDIT 3: recoilnut - In all likelihood the base pin has been changed out, but it looks like an original black powder era base pin. During early production the base pin was actually individually turned on a lathe and the means to secure the steel that was to be turned was with a locating hole in the front and rear of the base pin. The heads on these base pins with a hole actually are slightly flattened on the end instead of completely curved.

It's great to hear that the grips are serialized to the gun, that's a positive!

You see the leather strip under the hammer spring quite often; it is usually put there to soften the hammer pull and strike. It makes it easier for some folks to cock the Single Action.

I should have mentioned it earlier because it would have been an easy adjustment since you took the trigger guard off. It appears to me that the Gate Catch Screw that adjusts tension on the Gate Catch Spring and Gate Catch (plunger) is misadjusted and probably protruding below the frame; this is usually the reason you will see that midsection bow and gap between the Triggerguard and Frame like you see in your pictures. So the next time you remove the Backstrap and Triggerguard you'll see the Gate Catch Screw at the bottom rear of the Frame. It should be adjusted upwards so that it doesn't protrude below Frame level and applies proper tension on the Loading Gate so that it isn't loose and opens and closes properly.

You mentioned in your original post that you "thought it was a 45 Colt". The only marking for how these early Single Actions are chambered is on the trigger guard flat. If you look at the left rear flat I believe you'll see it marked there; it probably is stamped 45 CAL.

I haven't forgotten a value; I'm still mulling that over.

By the way, in this forum (Ask the Experts), a thread will be locked shortly after the 10th post. So, if it is locked and you haven't had all of your questions answered, just start a new thread and reference this one.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• recoilnutrecoilnut Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, gents. I'll check back next year!
    edited November -1
    Old Colts: Didn't check that, I'll take a look and let you know.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by recoilnut
    Old Colts: Didn't check that, I'll take a look and let you know.

Be careful to use the right screwdriver and don't bugger those screws! Also be careful removing the wood grips as they've been on there for a long time.

Happy New Year!
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have a letter for it? A letter will add to the value, if it does letter.

Best
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Do you have a letter for it? A letter will add to the value, if it does letter.

Best

He stated on his opening thread that a Colt letter is pending. I hope he gets some good info and shares it with us.
  • Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This looks like an exceptionally nice, early Colt.

You may already know these two points, but to inform anyone who does not know:
    ---It would be a good idea to store the gun OUT of the leather holster and completely away from the leather to ensure that no rust or pitting gets started. Storing weapons in holsters contributes heavily to deterioration.
    ---Also, keep good coating of gun oil on the gun and bore at all times and regularly wipe the gun down with a cotton teeshirt and replenish the oil to ensure no rust or pitting gets started. If you fire the gun, swab the oil out of the bore first.
    edited November -1
    Wolf, thanks for the tips. By the finish wear it looks like this gun was stored in the holster for many years, it now lives in a cotton sock and stays well oiled.

Old-Colts, sorry I had to go back to my shop to get the good screwdrivers. Yes the grip is marked with the same serial number in pencil or ink, but it's very hard to see and didn't photograph well. I also decided to check the loading gate and frame assembly numbers, while I had the grip off,so I took the trigger guard off and sure enough, they match. As for the base pin, I assume that's the pin the cylinder rotates around? No holes in either end. Posted additional photos on the album, so check that out. There's an interesting piece of ancient leather between the mainspring and grip frame, looks like it was placed there as a spacer or maybe a vibration damper. Thanks again everyone for your input.