In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Renato Gamba revolvers

sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have someone wanting me to take a couple Renato Gamba revolvers off his hands. He said they were Colt copies, I found 1 for sale on the auction side but can not find any info on them at all. I find the company appears to make fine higher end shotguns and they used to make pistols under the Mauser name but I can find NO info on the Colt style revolvers,,any help ??

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    It is probably the Trident .38 which sort of looked like a Colt DA revolver. Gamba coped the Colt cylinder release and a few other details. Gamba revolvers had very little exposure here in the USA (mostly they were known for their copy of the Mauser HSc automatic) and are not often encountered. They are nice revolvers but not valued anything like a Colt.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Their listed in the Blue Book and some other references. Importation has been really spotty. The revolvers don't appear to be competitive price wise from what I can see. Looks like their quality guns, but for the money more likely Americans would buy S & W or Ruger.

Don't know what kind of deal he's trying to make you? Unless they were really priced right, I wouldn't fool with them though. The way things are nowadays U.S. made revolvers aren't big sellers as compared to automatics anyway. Some unknown gun from Italy is probably going to grow roots in your showcase before it sells.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    these look like colt single actions, he sent me a cell phone pic and I found this auction that matched the guns, It just surprises me I can find so much on their shotguns and nothing on their single action revolvers. I think I can get them very cheap so I may try them out thanks
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=208661430
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Pioneer Arms, who were in Broomall, PA went out of business over a decade ago and Gamba USA, which is NJ, won't honor any warranty or handle repairs for guns which they or their authorized importer did not bring into the country. If you buy it you are on your own.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not know what your interest is in these guns. My opinion follows:

If you are a FFL and are looking to turn a decent profit by selling these guns to a CAS shooter, be aware that these guys have a very critical eye. Rufe-Snow made a good point about them languishing around for some time before they are sold.

If you want them for your own use, be equally careful for reasons noted below.

I looked at the photo in your second posting and it appears to me that there are significant differences in both the frame geometry and the backstrap/butt geometry as compared to an original Colt revolver. There may be other obvious differences, too. Given, Uberti and other clones have their differences as well, but this weapon you are talking about, while looking very much like a Colt Model P, aka SAA, aka Model 1873, is significantly different. What this translates into, of course, is ergonomics and handling characteristics, which some folks are quite sensitive to. Indeed, one of the Colt SAA's attractions has always been its good ergonomics.

Also, obvious design differences are generally unwelcome to many who would buy a Colt SAA clone. Additionally, the gun in the photo has a brass trigger guard and backstrap, which are considered by many to be a sub-grade, unattractive feature....a deal-breaker as far as desireability goes to many potential buyers.

I suggest you compare an original Colt SAA to these clones to see if either you can live with the differences or you think others can.