In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 12 Winchester question

myshootinstinksmyshootinstinks Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
I've acquired a M12, SN 169xxx, built in 1918. Mechanically solid, no apparent issues. The center number of the SN has been stamped over w/ some sort of insignia, looks like a reverse 3? Also the barrel magazine tube has no SN whatsoever. Any ideas as to the history of this???

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, how about the fact that there is no serial number on the bottom of the magazine tube? I would assume this means that at some point the tube was replaced. Or, maybe in 1918 they didn't put the SN on the tube....anybody know?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please post a clear close-up picture of the bottom of the receiver frame.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Howdy Bert,
    I'm a poor photographer but here's a couple of pictures. You can't read the SN but the center digit has a definite stamp over the original number, as I said, it looks like a reverse 3. The most curious thing about the gun is that there is no SN on the shroud over the magazine tube. I'm no M12 expert but I've never seen one like this. Thanks in advance. Doug
    017-1.jpg
    015.jpg
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doug,

The non-serial numbered barrel assembly is most likely a factory replacement piece. I have no explantion for the over-stamped digit in the serial number on the receiver assembly. Both issues have a negative impact on the value.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert. I'm not so concerned w/ collector value but curious more than anything. I have less $$ into this gun than if I were to buy a used Mossberg and the barrel assembly fits as well or better than my other M12s. I've had several guesses on meaning of the reverse 3 but no one knows for sure....it remains a mystery.
    Thanks again, Doug