In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question on assembly of a 1911?

Sparty_76Sparty_76 Member Posts: 714 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
I disassembled ("fieldstripping") for the very first time my new full size 1911 Kimber. I was amazed how simple it was to disassemble. Assembly was not to bad once I got the hang of it. However I had a heck of a time getting the Barrel Bushing back over the Recoil Spring Plug. Kimber supplied a "wrench" but I could not figure how to hold the spring in the frame and get the wrench on the Barrel Bushing with only two hands. After several attempts and chipping my thumbnails several times I was finally able to get the bushing over the plug. I am probably missing something simple, but is there an easy way to do it or buy a tool of some sort?

The Manual says during Diassembly, "Be careful the recoil spring and plug are under tension and can fly out with substantial force." They were not kidding! I was smart enough to be pointing the gun away from me but the Recoil Spring and Plug came out with enough force I thought it put a dent in the dry wall. Just missed my new glass frame hanging on the wall that my kids bought me for my birthday with my college degrees in it. I will definitely be more careful doing that again!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know of a simple trick, but with practice it does get pretty easy. I would not file down the bushing, because the tighter the bushing, the more accurate. Usually they loosen up over time, and you can ignore the wrench. however I have a Les Baer that can only be budged with a wrench. For this gun I do the following:

I have a wrench that is wide enough, and has enough lip that I can hold the plug down while it is on the bushing at 90 degrees turned. So insert the plug, use the wrench itself the push the plug into place. Then with it pushed down (use your left hand on the wrench and your right thumb to add pressure to the wrench while gripping the slide with your right fingers) seat the wrench on the bushing and twist.

Do it a few more times and it will be easy.
  • Options
    Sparty_76Sparty_76 Member Posts: 714 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys! It is nice to know it was just not me!
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Watch www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEOUjOlHjWg