In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ithaca 1911 info needed

JiggaJigga Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in Ask the Experts
I picked up an Ithaca 1911 that appears to have been arsenal refinished but, the frame has different stamping on it that I have not seen before. Has this been re-framed and someone had to mark the grip accordingly or is this an amateur fake? Any help is appreciated.
Guns_12-21-10_002.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no expert, but those stamped letters do not look right to me. Looks like an amateur restamping!
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    FAKE-- I have never seen out of line stamping on any 1911 the government has issued
    Please show other shots of the pistol as to other markings, both sides
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have learned to NEVER SAY NEVER when it comes to Military contract 1911 A1 pistols But of all the Ithaca contract pistols I have ever seen . I have Never seen any that had that crude numbers Etc . I have a National match pistol that was Military rework by Springfield Arsenal in 1964 and some of the numbers are very Shallow and 2 have been restamped. "pictures on request" but it looks no where like this pistol. I also Have a LUNCH BOX 1918 pistol that was never stamped with a serial number but with careful measurement can prove the frame is the correct width . I have letter from BATFE stating it is legal for me to own. without any serial. "pictures on request".. I would think dial indicator could be used to see if the frame is within specifications of a standard frame or if serial number had been machined off and new numbers stamped on the frame.
    EDIT one other note this is a serial number range thatShould be a Colt frame we need to know what the inspection mark is on the other side of frame just below the magazine release button. FJA= Ithaca Remington Rand or US & S However if . W.B. or G.H.D. these = Colt.EDIT IIIf you don't own the pistol then don't buy it If you own the pistol NEVER try to sell it If I had pistol I would keep all parts except the BARE "all parts removed "FRAME and trash the frame.Just my $.02 again FJA could be an Ithaca frame but then serial number is wronge and the serial number SHOUL be on a colt frame and FJA would not be on a COLT frame.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a felony to possess a firearm with a serial number that has been altered or removed.

Hopefully you can drop it at the same place that you picked it up.

Neal

EDIT: Sometimes, an inexperienced person just goes too far when he attempts a project. Possibly someone tried to grind out the scratches, couldn't quite get it right, repeated the procedure, & finally found that he had removed all markings & tried his hand at "restoration". The markings may be those originally on the frame, or it could be a Filipino POS; no way to tell.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    why would someone go to the crappy detail to fake this piece?
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet it was rusty and pitted so Bubba got out the grinder and went crazy!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the stamp on the other side of frame has FJA on it
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    "Has this been re-framed"..........you don't 're-frame' a pistol, you have an altered frame with an Ithaca slide. the 'frame' is the pistol, the rest is just parts.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just as a note, there are legal BATFE procedures for reestablishing a serial number on a gun when the original number has been ACCIDENTALLY damaged or erased. The burden is on the owner to convince the agent just how and when the damage occured. Simply buying a gun that has an altered number does not qualify for the exemption. In that case, you are SOL. But, if you already own a gun and then the number gets damaged or removed during maintenance or restoration, you can get that taken care of pretty simply at the local BATFE office and you get to keep the gun legally.