In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 512/514 buttplate woes.

DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in Ask the Experts
I've tried all different kinds of North Carolina Ordnance repro buttplates and I can't find one to fit this damn rifle. I'd love to get it out of here and back to it's owner.

I think there may be a replacement stock installed. None of the buttplates fit, or the ones which are close, the hole pattern is off.

The butt is 4.3" long by 1.450" wide and the holes are approx 2.850" center to center.

Please help.

Comments

• Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    How do they not fit? The screw holes?
    If it's the contour size, buttplates are intended to be fitted to the stock.
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DRP-AZ

A little glue & a piece of wood dowel to plug the holes in the butt stock, re-drill for the replacement plate of choice.

What's the problem?

Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    none of them fit, the ones which are too long are the right width.

The ones which are the right length are too narrow.

They are resin repro buttplates which don't lend themselves to tidy trimming.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Replacement buttplates are made oversize and intended to be trimmed and fitted to the stock. As altho they may appear to be, not all stocks are exactly the same size.
    To do this, 1st secure the buttplate to the stock w/the screws. Then using a scribe (or a Sharpie in a pinch) mark the inside of the buttplate around the butt of the rifle. Then remove the buttplate and remove all material on the buttplate outside the lines of the stock contour until the plate is just SLIGHTLY oversize. I usually use a belt sander. But you can use files or whatever material removal tools you have.
    Then wrap the butt of the rifle in heavy masking tape to protect the wood/finish. And sand (w/sandpaper) the edges of buttplate down until they are are even and match the stock contour.
  • Options
    farmer37farmer37 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Butt plate on the 514 is checkered and has the name Remington ia small circle.I used to buy butt plates from Gun Parts Corp.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's why I'm thinking someone may have changed the stock on this one.

One of these repros looks exactly like that, but it's way too long and the holes are not even close to being right.
  • Options
    ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    Follow Fatstrat's advice and you'll have it. Simple stuff.[:)]
    Tom