In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W Model 17

dhallz71dhallz71 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a S&W Model 17-6 made about 1990. When I bought it back then, it came with the full lug barrel which was the "new" version back then. I have a chance to buy a non full lug barrel which looks better to me. Can the barrel be changed to the previous non-full leg version?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just came across an old S & W Model 17. Can anyone give me the history of the gun, and what it is worth these days? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What dash number would a 4" 17 have? What would it be worth? No box,papers.About 90%. Talked to owner today--it`s a -6, full underlug, 4". Would it be worth $500?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need more info, preferably photos and serial number. Different versions were made over the years.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like Rufe said; pictures, full serial number etc.
    The "-4" has, I believe, nothing to do with the barrel length but with minor design changes; some more noticable than others.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dhallz71
    What dash number would a 4" 17 have? What would it be worth? No box,papers.About 90%.

I don't know, it could have different "dash" numbers. Typically the model 17s are 6" with a target front sight, with the model 18s being 4" with a combat-type ramp front sight. But there probably have been 4" model 17s made over the years.

Try opening up the cylinder and looking inside the frame under the barrel for an engraving that lists the exact model number.

As to worth, excellent condition model 17s typically run about $550, give or take some.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is also, if memory serves me correctly, a 22 caliber version of the Model 15 4" on a K frame with ramped front sight - I don't recall the model number but it is an unusual find. I'm inclined to say it's a Smith & Wesson Model 45 but that's just a guess.
  • Options
    marc2564marc2564 Member Posts: 169 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    S & W introduced a 4" Model 17 to replace the Model 18 in 1986. It should be a 17-4
    Then in 1989 they brought out the Model 17-6, which was a full lug barrel.
    The Model 45 is a .22 caliber fixed sight revolver, a companion to the Model 10 38 special, you might say.