In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Fluted comb stock

moretoysmoretoys Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
Has any one ever seen a model 94 carbine with a fluted comb?
The only resource on hand when I saw it was a blue book which dated it 1933 (I know Bert,I know)I am waiting on e-mail for the ser# to further research.
Might Winchester have put a model 55 stock on a 94 carbine?

Comments

• Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    or maybe a model 53 butt stock. eastbank.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moretoys
    Has any one ever seen a model 94 carbine with a fluted comb?
    The only resource on hand when I saw it was a blue book which dated it 1933 (I know Bert,I know)I am waiting on e-mail for the ser# to further research.
    Might Winchester have put a model 55 stock on a 94 carbine?

In answer to your first question, Yes, I have seen a fair number of Model 94 Carbines with the fluted comb butt stock. Winchester first used them on the Model 55 in June of 1924, and when the Model 55 was discontinued in December of 1932, they continued to be used on the Model 94 up through August of 1942. The earliest Model 94 I have verified with a fluted comb was manufactured in February of 1928, and it was a special order Eastern Carbine with a 1/2 magazine.

In answer to your second question, Yes, Winchester used Model 55 stocks on a number of special order Model 94 Carbines. In the years 1928 - 1932, I have found (surveyed) a fair number of special order Model 94 Carbines (all with shorter than standard magazines) that have a fluted comb butt stock and the serrated steel type butt plate.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW, my 94 Saddle Ring .32 Special has a fluted comb. I believe it's original to the piece. Serial # 925,164
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    FWIW, my 94 Saddle Ring .32 Special has a fluted comb. I believe it's original to the piece. Serial # 925,164

Rob,

I have doubts that it is original. What type of butt plate does it have? Serial 925164 is a November 1920 vintage gun.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert,
    Plate is smooth steel, light curve. Be glad to send you some pics if interested.
    Rob

Bert, You may recall that I wrote about this rifle earlier this month, but the question at the time was the assembly numbers stamped on the stock and butt plate and not the question of fluting and whether the stock might be original.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    Bert,
    Plate is smooth steel, light curve. Be glad to send you some pics if interested.
    Rob

Bert, You may recall that I wrote about this rifle earlier this month, but the question at the time was the assembly numbers stamped on the stock and butt plate and not the question of fluting and whether the stock might be original.

Send me the pictures please.