In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt SA Frontier Scout .22 pistol Born on Date

lee shermanlee sherman Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
Ok, I'm back with this Colt SA Frontier Scout pistol which I just totally field stripped and restored cosmetically. It came from a Nevada Centennial two pistol set that was damaged due to water intrusion. I still have the Peacemaker .45 to do but hey I'm half way there. The Serial on the pistol is 1460NS. Any guess as to born on date for this pistol or other interesting facts. The forum helped me with the field strip info which really helped a lot. How many of these sets were sold?? I've seen three different numbers so far. Thanks in advance. Lee[?]

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    is there a letter prefix on serial,,,Q,K,P,F,G,L,??
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My book says 1964, with 3984 made.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No letter prefix found. Serial 1460NS that's it. This is the Colt Single Action Frontier Scout from a 2 pistol set from a Nevada Centennial Set. If I was thinking I would have surmised 1964 for the date of manufacture.DUH! Thanks in advance guys. Lee[?]
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    lee sherman....are you sure you have the serial # correct? I went and checked my set and the serial number starts with the 0 then the number (in your case 146) and then NS...at least my set does. Since they only made 189 of the 1964 Nevada Statehood Centennial 22/45 combos you and I have two of the sets. Does your .45 have the same serial # as does the .22? If it is part of the set then you have the number cited incorrectly. Colt did make 3984 1964 Nevada Statehood Centennial Scout .22's as Knifecollector correctly states. Colt also made 1688 NSCentennial .45's in 1964. But only 189 of the boxed two gun sets. Gets a bit confusing. Hope this helps. I have seen the sets going at auctions for as much as $2200 even in this down market. Good luck[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To Gary Wray: Way confusing for me I assure you. It is a two pistol set. One pistol is a .45 the other is a .22. Both pistols have the same serial number on the frame underneath where the barrel and receiver connect. The serial numbers are same-same 1460NC. They have two cyls. in which to choose. One is blued, the other is nickel plated. The grip frames and trigger housings are nickel also. The entire set received water damage to a certain extent. Nothing to do but restore these pistols in my opinion. The screws in the hinges for the box rusted to the point that they fell out!! They will be beautiful Colt's again, soon. What do I have here?? Thanks in advance once again. Lee S[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, my bad. I had the serial as 1460NS instead of 1460NC as in Nevada Centennial. What an idjit!! Lee S
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lee sherman
    OK, my bad. I had the serial as 1460NS instead of 1460NC as in Nevada Centennial. What an idjit!! Lee S

Lee......don't worry about it as I have those "senior" moments all the time! As to what you have, I just know what you don't have...and that is a real boxed set as the sets were made in low numbers and were matched .22/.45. The Nevada Statehood Centennial was a matching set of 189. The Nevada St. Cent 22/45 with extra engraved cyl was a set of 577. The Nevada Battleborn set was a set of 20. All were made in 1964. I am just guessing, but I am thinking what you have is two 1964 Nevada Statehood Centennial pistols (NS) but even though they have the same serial #, they did not come together as a boxed set...that is the reason the serials numbers are so high. The .22 is the 1964 Nevada Statehod Cent Scout of which 3984 were made and the .45 is the Nevada Statehood SAA .45 of which 1688 were made. Someone has found a box and put them together as a matched set, but they didn't come from the factory like that as the numbers are too high. Anyway, just my guess. Good luck with your restoration[^]
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    don't you really mean REVOLVERS ???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I really do mean revolvers![:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To Gary Wray: Thanks for the history lesson on the Colts. This whole week has been a sort of Colt 101 fact finder. I much appreciate your input as well as everyone elses input! Another great thing about this hobby is the people which support it and are willing to help total strangers.The field strip and resto went beautifully on the Frontier .22. The Peacemaker is in the process of coming back to life and it should'nt be much longer now. Once again, thanks to all. Lee S[:D]