In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

PROFESSIONAL ORDNANCE CARBON 15

CRISROC21CRISROC21 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
I bought a carbon 15 the first year they came out. Shot it very little over the years and the other day while cleaning it, I noticed the bolt is cracked on one side of the cam pin. Started checking this out on the web and found it is a common problem. I called Bushmaster and they want $250 +/- for a new bolt and barrel. Question: is this my only remedy? Any gunsmiths out there that can fix it cheaper.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    HEY HOWS EVERY ONE.I JUST PURCHASED THIS GREAT LOOKING CARBON 15 I JUST CANT FIND ANY INFO ON THE MAKER AND IF ITS A GOOD RIFLE.ANY INFO PLEASE THANKS[?]
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From Bushmaster Firearms

Bushmaster Firearms has introduced a new line of Carbon 15 lightweight, compact semi-automatic rifles and pistols. The line features Carbon 15 fiber composite upper and lower receivers. stainless steel barrels and a Modular Accessories System. The 5.56mm/.223 rifle weighs less than four pounds, while the pistol in the same calibers weighs 2.88 pounds. Both have 10-round magazine capacities and come with a factory warranty, Contact Bushmaster Firearms, P.O, Box 1479, Windham ME 04062. telephone: [207] 892-3594. FAX: [207] 8928068 E-mail: info@bushmster.com. Website: www.bushmaster.com

IMHO Bushmasters are quality weapons.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THANKS FOR THE INFO I'LL CHECK OUT BUSHMASTER
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These were first made by Professional Ordnance in Lake Havasu Ariz. Bushmaster bought P.O. a few years ago and now continues on with the line of Carbon 15 guns.

If yours is an early gun it may have been made by Prof Ord. I believe the newer guns have Bushmasters name on them.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The newer versions from Bushmaster have a better tack record than the Professional Ordnance ones. I had two P O's and neither worked worth a darn they jammed alot and chewed up the carbon around the ejection port. A buddy of mine had one and it worked great. I think that they are magazine sensitive and using new unworn mags may help. I had better luck in mine when I used newer mags. When they work they are gun to shoot. If yours didn't come with a scope rail you may be able to get one through Bushmaster. I know they were exspensive when I looked at them about six years ago.
  • Options
    richdanerichdane Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had purchased a Pro-Ord Carbon 15 a few months ago. I have cleaned it, oiled it, replaced mags, and did everything I know of to have it function properly....without success. I have spoke to others who also have a reoccuring problem, as I, with stove-piping every several rounds. If anyone has any idea how to solve this problem (short of running it over with my truck) I would be tickled.
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good place to start would be with a slightly weaker recoil sprinf. You can buy one from Bushmaster. Do not "cut down" the one that you have as this almost never works. Another problem might be you, if you are not gripping the rifle properly the recoil can be dissapated before the casing is clear of the gun.
  • Options
    mconmcon Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    POS, liked it fine untill it blew up in my face and sent the buffer tube and assembly into my upper lip. The cuts weren't too bad, but stitches probably would have been good in hind sight. Luckily i had a red dot sight on it, had i been using the iron sights it would have gone through my eye. Around 2000fps out the muzzle, not sure what that equaled out of the back end, but it felt like i had been hit with a hammer. There is a reason most manufacturers dont put rifle rounds through carbon fiber guns. DO NOT BUY THIS GUN! DO NOT USE THIS GUN!
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    bushmaster will not work on the gun unless they rebarrel and bolt the gun..lots of problems with one for a customer..they only ammo that worked was hot russian 223
  • Options
    richdanerichdane Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old Fool
    A good place to start would be with a slightly weaker recoil sprinf. You can buy one from Bushmaster. Do not "cut down" the one that you have as this almost never works. Another problem might be you, if you are not gripping the rifle properly the recoil can be dissapated before the casing is clear of the gun.

I fixed the problem, I put a entirely new A-4 subgun steel upper on the weapon, still with the 7 1/2 barrell, shoots like a dream, not one issue now...now if I could only figure out a way to put on that beta mag and that CAR stock that would be great (kidding) PS to all: This may push you over the 50 oz limit!
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    i too once had a P.O. pistol, i cured the many problems with it by selling it to some "banger" who gave me $50.00 more for it than i paid for the damn thing.

..."banger" is my description of the "kid", he was a good kid, just a little too modern for me. but his money was as good as gold [;)]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    bushmaster will not work on the gun unless they rebarrel and bolt the gun..lots of problems with one for a customer..they only ammo that worked was hot russian 223

Basically, they are changing the barrel extension, to one that accepts the standard AR-15/M-16 bolt, and putting a standard bolt in, to replace the buzzardized bolt that PO had designed for it.

Best