In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win Mod 70 Pre 64 See thru sights

samulationsamulation Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
I need a little help with see thru sights. I have see thru scope mounts. This is a Winchester model 70 pre 64 243. I need taller rear sight, maybe a taller front as well. The original rear sight is partially blocked by the scope mounting base. Is there any after market ideas?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    No. Dont do it.
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with cartod. I would not change anything that is original to this pre 64.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    If the rear sight is a folding sight Lyman makes a higher one. If it is the Winchester sight replace it with a Williams of the needed height.
    Replace the front sight with either a Williams or Lyman front sight blade of whatever height you need. Save the sights you take off so you can put the rifle back to original if you want someday.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lyman or williams, I will look into those. This pre 64 is a shooter, I am not making too radical modifications. I want to be able to use this gun like I want. I have 3 other Pre 64 that are original and collectable
    thanks for the input.
  • Options
    Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although I personally agree with the previous advice not to modify your Pre-64 Model 70, it is your gun and you can certainly do as you wish. However, from my experience, see-thru scope mounts are generally unnecessary with today's scope technology and, more often than not, cause inaccurate shots because of the height of the rings. See-thru rings will be, by necessity, much higher than the normal rings required to mount the same scope. The shooter, therefore, will often be required to lift his cheek off the stock, breaking the cheek weld, to get a full sight picture and that leads to inconsistent sight pictures and inaccurate shots. If you insist on using see-thru mounts, I would suggest strapping a leather cheek pad on your stock so your eye more readily aligns with the scope. If you experience scope fogging, you can always unlace the leather pad to bring your eye more in line with the gun's iron sights. Finally, most articles or books devoted to hunting and rifle accuracy will universally tell you to use the lowest possible bases and rings to mount a scope to your rifle. It's all about the cheek weld.

In general, today's scope technology is vastly better than when see-thru mounts were developed and, as a result, scope fogging, etc, is almost nonexistent. IMHO, the only real reason to use see-thru mounts today is if the hunter is pursuing dangerous game and wants 100% assurance of being able to pull off a shot no matter the conditions or situation. However, since the rifle in this case is a 243, I doubt you're hunting dangerous game unless, of course, rabid groundhogs are your prey.

If you're worried about internal fogging or rain/snow obscuring your scope, I'd recommend two other options before slapping a set of see-thru rings on your rifle. First, spend a little extra dough for a quality scope. All my rifles wear Leupold scopes and, regardless of the grade (VX-I/II/III, etc), I've never experienced a scope problem in more than 45 years afield. Second, equip your scope with a set of flip-up scope covers to protect the lenses from the elements.

Again, it's your rifle. Use it as you wish, enjoy it, and good luck. However, for all the reasons I've already mentioned, I would personally rather eat light bulbs than use see-thru rings.

OK, having expressed my personal opinion, I'll now sit back and wait to be angrily set upon by all you hunters from the northeast woods who swear by scopes mounted on your Thudy-Thudies with see-thru rings. Would love to hear stories from anyone who has ever had to actually pull his eye off a scope and shoot using the iron sights. If it happens, I suspect the odds are slim, perhaps 1 in 1000 shots or more. Again, with 45 years afield hunting in places like Pennsylvania, Idaho, Arizona, Colorado, Alabama, Mississippi, Europe, and Africa, I've never personally met a hunter who has used his see-thru rings other than to sight in on the range.

Let the thrashing begin!!!
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used see through option once, shooting a * in my garage.
    No longer have any see through rings or racoons.
    quote:Originally posted by Fairlane66
    Although I personally agree with the previous advice not to modify your Pre-64 Model 70, it is your gun and you can certainly do as you wish. However, from my experience, see-thru scope mounts are generally unnecessary with today's scope technology and, more often than not, cause inaccurate shots because of the height of the rings. See-thru rings will be, by necessity, much higher than the normal rings required to mount the same scope. The shooter, therefore, will often be required to lift his cheek off the stock, breaking the cheek weld, to get a full sight picture and that leads to inconsistent sight pictures and inaccurate shots. If you insist on using see-thru mounts, I would suggest strapping a leather cheek pad on your stock so your eye more readily aligns with the scope. If you experience scope fogging, you can always unlace the leather pad to bring your eye more in line with the gun's iron sights. Finally, most articles or books devoted to hunting and rifle accuracy will universally tell you to use the lowest possible bases and rings to mount a scope to your rifle. It's all about the cheek weld.

In general, today's scope technology is vastly better than when see-thru mounts were developed and, as a result, scope fogging, etc, is almost nonexistent. IMHO, the only real reason to use see-thru mounts today is if the hunter is pursuing dangerous game and wants 100% assurance of being able to pull off a shot no matter the conditions or situation. However, since the rifle in this case is a 243, I doubt you're hunting dangerous game unless, of course, rabid groundhogs are your prey.

If you're worried about internal fogging or rain/snow obscuring your scope, I'd recommend two other options before slapping a set of see-thru rings on your rifle. First, spend a little extra dough for a quality scope. All my rifles wear Leupold scopes and, regardless of the grade (VX-I/II/III, etc), I've never experienced a scope problem in more than 45 years afield. Second, equip your scope with a set of flip-up scope covers to protect the lenses from the elements.

Again, it's your rifle. Use it as you wish, enjoy it, and good luck. However, for all the reasons I've already mentioned, I would personally rather eat light bulbs than use see-thru rings.

OK, having expressed my personal opinion, I'll now sit back and wait to be angrily set upon by all you hunters from the northeast woods who swear by scopes mounted on your Thudy-Thudies with see-thru rings. Would love to hear stories from anyone who has ever had to actually pull his eye off a scope and shoot using the iron sights. If it happens, I suspect the odds are slim, perhaps 1 in 1000 shots or more. Again, with 45 years afield hunting in places like Pennsylvania, Idaho, Arizona, Colorado, Alabama, Mississippi, Europe, and Africa, I've never personally met a hunter who has used his see-thru rings other than to sight in on the range.

Let the thrashing begin!!!
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See thru rings are horrible in every way.
    way too tall for proper alignment
    usually made of aluminum and so tall that they flex
    look like crap

get a good variable scope in proper rings

it would be a sin on a pre 64. it would be bad enough on a remington 710
    i think they are for yokels who dont know better

get quality detachable mounts if you think you really need irons
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An excellent statement by Fairlane 66. 100% correct.
  • Options
    Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    By the way, I in no way meant to denigrate 30-30 owners. I have a Winchester 94 and love using it in thick cover, but mine only has open sights.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Like I say this pre 64 does not have much collector value . I have 3 others that do. This one has a drilled receiver and modified butt pad stock. The price I bought it for was very reasonable and I wanted the controlled round and overall dependability and accuracy. MY question does not revolve around ruining a fine rifle and piece of history. I am killing coyotes after my pets at 150 + yards sometimes the shot is from my back deck overlooking a field where the sun is settingand looking through a scope is blinding. In this situation the ability to "see through" to iron sights may be handy. Thanks for the comments.