In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Are Ruger Cylinders Interchangeable?

gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
edited January 2011 in Ask the Experts
Question for the experts:

Are Ruger Blackhawk and Ruger Vaquero old model cylinders interchangeable?
Example: Would a Blackhawk 45LC cylinder fit a Vaquero 45LC?

Anyone know or have experience?

Thanks.

Gunpaq

Comments

• Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I've heard of people replacing Single Six cylinders w/non originals acquired at gunshows etc. Kind of a "hit & miss" deal. Ideally they are reportedly made to the same specs. But that still does not insure precise fit and timing. I'd be scared to attempt it myself with a big bore.
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up a 9mm cyl for an OM 357 blackhawk and it fit like a glove.
    Shoots fine.
  • Options
    pphillipspphillips Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    (RugerForum.com) has a section on gunsmithing. There are several threads dealing with this question. Lots of good information.
    Phil
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently traded an extra Single Six LR cylinder for a Magnum cylinder with a fellow GB member. They fit perfectly at both ends of the trade.

Iam not sure but I suspect the Blackhawks and Vaqueros have different frame specs that would not be conducive to a swap.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Old Model Vaquero and the Blackhawk share the same frame--the only difference is the Vaquero is fixed sighted--New Model Vaquero is completely different frame wise. The cylinder MAY require fitting and it MAY not. I have dropped in a different cylinder from a Blackhawk into my Vaquero and it did fit and rotate-did not have a chance to fire it though.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the process of cleaning some Blackhawks several years ago, I looked at the cylinders lined up on the bench and noting that they looked to be the same size, I thought I,d try them in various frames. The 3-screw Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum cylinder fit right in with no end-play, indexed, and operated normally in the 3-screw .30 Carbine frame. Now that's SCARY!!
  • Options
    9 on the floor9 on the floor Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've swapped the cylinders between my Bisley Blackhawk .45 and my Sherrifs Model Vaquero .45 and they seem lock up and index just fine.

But I haven't fired them that way.