In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mini 14 model?

ssilverssilver Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited January 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a mini 14 SS, it has no scope mounts but does have the bayonet lug & flash hider. Could someone please tell me how to determine what model gun this is? I see posts about Govt. & LE models, what makes it a Govt. or LE? Would much appreciate any answers, Thanx [?]

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You have a Mini-14 GB model. The bayonet lug and flash hider make it that. They were used in a lot of prisons and by police. A few years ago a lot of them got traded in by them.
    Go to the auction side and look them up, as there are some for sale.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Is the front sight towards the middle of the barrel, or is it one of the after market combo deals with the flash hider and lug?
  • Options
    ssilverssilver Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sight & lug are to the middle & are factory, receiver is not machined for scope so I guess its not a ranch mod. The stock is after market folder so it's no help. I just can't find anything that will tell what model the gun is other than Mini-14 marked on the rear top of the receiver.
  • Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The primary dsifference I've seen between the government models and the ranch rifle models is the rear sight. The "humped" sight on the governments and the more conventional rifle sight on the ranch rifle. Probably more to it than this but one obvious difference.
  • Options
    9 on the floor9 on the floor Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a GB [gov't/bayonet] model.
    The series will be the first 3 numbers before the dash in the SN if I remember correctly.

Are you sure it's an after market folder? GBs also came with factory folding stocks and are worth a premium.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the front of the gun look like this? If so, its the GB model.

[img][/img]IMG_0173.jpg