In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.38 special defense load choices

tennisotenniso Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
i currently use winchester sxt +p 130 gr. jhp for personal protection. lately, i have begun to rethink my choice. using the logic for choosing a 45 for my next gun,(heavy, slower moving slug), i am now thinking that a 158 gr. jhp +p would be a better defense load
in my smith & wesson model 10 .38 w/4 inch barrell.

what do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    For a 4" bbl, I would stick with the SXT's. The 158JHP+P is a good load also. The 38 is a tough one to pick a load for, it is in the middle on so many issues. They aren't known for penetration so you bring in a +P loading (357-lite) and increase the weight. Then you don't get expansion for JHP loads so then they load to +P+ specs and start dropping the weight to get the velocity up. Then you have heavy recoil and muzzle blast which complicates tactical issues. I would opt for a light-midweight jhp (ie SXT) with a +P loading or go with a regular 158 SWC or SWCHP. Just my 2 cents.[:D]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There have been hundreds of different self defense loads for the most popular calibers over many years. Some concepts like the heavy, slow mass of a .45 ACP have been around for 100 years; others, like the light, fast .38's didn't last long. It all boils down to personal preference.

Actually, shot placement is far more important than the choice of caliber or load.

A lot depends on WHERE you will be using your gun for self defense. In a house, or outside in an urban area, a pre-fragmented bullet (Mag Safe or Glaser Safety Slug) might be your best choice.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for your opinions. i have another question. is there a way to test different loads? like the wet phone books test, or shooting thru 2x4s, and measuring the penetration?, or the water-filled milk carton tests?
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Only measures penetration. If you are looking for a stopping power test you'll need some neighbors who are willing to participate in a rather dangerous test[:D] Cats are good test subjects too [}:)]
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Location, location, location. If you can put the round where it should go, it won't matter if you are using 100 gr DEWC. That being said, I would recommend the JHP load that gives you the most consistent groups at 10 yards.

Unless you are just dead-set on doing your own testing there are lots of ballistic data available.

The only thing necessary for evil to triump is that good men do nothing.
    Recruit someone for the NRA today!
    Semper Fi
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    DarrellDarrell Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wet phone books tell you about wet phone books and nothing more. The ONLY reliable "test" is at the morgue. First lesson you learn is that the majority of shots miss so bullets aren't an issue the vast majority of time. Of those that hit most are marginal hits and at odd and usual angles so again bullet design means little. Of those well placed ANY bullet would do the job. Back in the days of the RNL bullets they complained they put 6 into the guys chest and he didn't go down. Now they put that and MORE into the guys chest and he still does'nt go down. Handguns of any kind are not very reliable with any caliber, load, etc. It's back to PLACEMENT. NYPD used the FMJ in 358 shootings with thier 9mm's and had few complaints. They changed to hollowpoints and most stats so far are the same. No bullet design will make up for bad placement. NONE.
  • Options
    BayouCritterBayouCritter Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was carrying revolvers, my agency's issue load was Federal 147 Grain +p+ Hydrashocks. I still use it in my personal guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks again everybody. i will continue to practice shot placement. so far, i can hit beer bottles from 65 feet(21 paces) about 50% of the time. but i want to change that to 100% of the time.

by the way, does anybody know where the best deals on bulk ammo are?
  • Options
    DarrellDarrell Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks again everybody. i will continue to practice shot placement. so far, i can hit beer bottles from 65 feet(21 paces) about 50% of the time. but i want to change that to 100% of the time.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    In the dark? 85% of all shootings are in low light and darkness and about as many are at 21 feet or LESS. Master that first. 65 feet is used in making movies and little more. The closer the target is to you the higher the miss rate.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JHP bullets at 38 Special velocities doesnt make a lot of sense because of marginal expansion.
    The 158gr lead HP has the better record in standard velocity.