In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1A pre-ban value

easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
I am going to the gun show just north of Cincnnati tomorrow morning. I want to determine if ther is a market premium for Springfield M1As in the Standard new walnut stock configuration (not loaded). I have a 1999 Blue Book which lists the value at apprx. $985 (98%) with no adjustment for a pre-ban configuration.

I am not a 'motivated' seller but I have someone interested and I also own a Supermatch with a Kreiger 'cryo' SS barrel and USMC fiberglass stock. I could sell the Standard and still enjoy the Supermatch. I would REALLY want a National Match with the Kreiger barrel and I'd sell both. Any comments as to if there is or is not a premium on the pre-ban rifel??

SEMPER FI

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The pre-ban rifles do tend to bring a premium, just because they ARE pre-ban. Those with all USGI parts tend to bring a premium too, although this is more of a factor in post-bans. An SAK lightweight NM barrel also boosts the value. However, there is a fairly wide range of sale prices due to the many variations of the rifle, motivation of buyer & seller, & region of the country.

The Blue Book price sounds about right to me. Blue Book prices seem to be "full list price", so you may not be able to get that much on a private sale, especially at a single gun show.

Neal
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M1A was first made in 1974, so the number of "Pre-Ban" rifles is large. The older, the more valuable. (Early Devine, Texas-marked and San Antonio, Texas-marked rifles bring huge premiums.) The more GI parts, the more valuable. Original box and papers, number of magazines, etc. all affect value.

The only physical difference between Pre-Ban and Post-Ban rifles is the bayonet lug, so the Pre- and Post- values do not differ much for that reason.
  • Options
    easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input nmeyers and Judge Colt. There is a lot I have yet to learn regarding this firearm.

I ASSUME that my rifle has no USGI parts...only because I purchased it new in 1986.

Thanks and have a great year in 2003.[:)]

SEMPER FI
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    In this area (Kansas) I occasionally see pre-ban M1As in gun shops and pawn shops marked at about the same price as post-ban guns. I've had gun dealers in the area tell me they don't command a premium because there is so little difference in them. I don't agree, and see them sell for premiums at auction frequently. But if a person is patient he can generally find them with no premium assigned to them. I personally think this is a good area for people to "cherry pick", and think they should be bought when found with no premium assigned.

But then again, the pre-ban BM59's are a better deal than any of them.[:D]

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    boeboe - I was wondering how you'd work in the BM-59 ... only reason I read the post [:D]

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.