In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Charles Daly 1911 45

lovig214lovig214 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
Hi I am lookig at a Charles Daly 1911 45. What is everone thoughts on that pistol. Can it be twiked for bullseye Competion. It is slightly used, what is a fair price they are asking 399 for it. It is matte ss. Thanks Craig

Comments

• Options
    PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lovig214;
    The Daly 1911 is a Colt clone. They can be tuned and accurized just like any other 1911. They are fairly good copies of good quality and workmanship. The only problem I've noticed as a recurring theme, is the extractor claw tends to break. Para- ordinance had the same problem some years back. This aside, they are a pretty desent pistol. $399 is about the going rate, You could try talking them down a bit. If you can pick it up for $350, so much the better.
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    lovig214,
    Forget the Daly. Perhaps look at a respected arm such as a Kimber,
    Springfield or original Colt. Anything may be "tweaked" but start out with a quality arm. No reason to throw money away on an arm that requires $ thrown at it to shoot good. Craig, the Daly sells for, my dealer cost, $289.00. Perhaps will come down hard as I gave the price away but do not care. Also forget the "Crock Arsenal brand". If just wanting a quality .45-and only a suggestion, look at the the Argentine
    model "Systema 27". No Ballester Molina(sp?)which is crapola. It is usually less expensive to start out with a quality arm for your intended purposes. Good luck. 101
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    I tend to agree with Python. Shotgun News ran an article on the various 1911 clones a few months back and the Daly's faired pretty well, as I recall. I bought one used for $200.00 a couple of years ago and have had great luck with it. But it was blued, or suppose to be, the guy had tried to refinish it without much success. I had it re-blued the way it should be. I know another guy who owns one and is very happy with it. They are pretty faithful to the original 1911 pattern. I don't think 101 is taking into consideration it's a stainless at the price he's quoting. But there's nothing wrong with trying to pick it up for less.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    sundownersundowner Member Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several buddies that have them, and they really like them, have had no problems with them. They've all had some minor gunsmith work done to them, like adjusting the trigger, etc. I also understand Charles Daly's customer service is really first rate. They aren't Kimbers, but they still seem to be a good buy for a base gun.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bought a daly 45 clone for $360..great metal work..accurate..fits a small hand, don't feel comfy with ruger ,taurus ,ect. large frame auto...check out gun tests...you don't always have to spend mega-bucks to get something good...my 2cts worth.. respectfully