In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.32 Remington Rifle ammo?

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
I'm trying to sell a box of this on GB auction and I don't know if it's collectible or just obsolete. Given the lawyer-proofing text on the box it may not be all that old. Opinions or advice[?]

The only thing necessary for evil to triump is that good men do nothing.
Recruit someone for the NRA today!
Semper Fi
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may be collectable.One thing I know is it is hard to find.I have a few old boxes myself and would not sell cheaply.

[8D]

ATF
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Henry, it can be either or both. The 'lawyer proof' text on the box is an ancient tradition, so to speak. It isn't, strictly speaking, 'proof,' either. Winchester made a line of high velocity ammo for the M1892 rifle calibers between the World Wars. Didn't last long, as various fools persisted in using them in revolvers, M1873 and diverse other low pressure designs. Today, the makers keep pressures to BP levels for virtually any round originally so loaded in recognition of near absolute liability for the stupidity of the consumer.

Back to the subject at hand . . . depending on the era, these could fall into either or both category. One thing for sure is that these have not been made domestically for decades and even new .30 Rem brass which could me formed into this caliber has been off the market for years. Ammo in good or better condition typically fetches $1.50 - $2 a round, regardless of the box. When you start talking collectible boxes, the box condition is usually, except for the earliest and most recent material, more important than its age. In general, however, this is not a 'sexy' caliber and doesn't command as much of a premium as a collectible as many other types.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you kindly.

The only thing necessary for evil to triump is that good men do nothing.
    Recruit someone for the NRA today!
    Semper Fi
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    According to the catalog from The Old Western Scrounger, he is currently producing it.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BT99, just to clarify, OWS doesn't "produce" any ammo. The company has the import license for key metric companies (Norma, RWS) and has contracted with Bertram (Australia) and Fiocchi (Italy) to produce certain calibers which have not otherwise been available to the American shooter for many years. If I had a choice between buying US ammo which was in relatively good condition and fresh Bertram products, I would choose the US ammo in a hearbeat. Brass is much better quality than the Australian stuff IMHO. If nothing else is available (e.g., Boxer-primed 7.35 Carcano brass), then the Bertram stuff is not unreasonable. OWS has always been, for me, the choice of last resort. Prices are very high relative to anything execpt true collectible ammo.