In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How good can a mini 14 be?

IowaShooterIowaShooter Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have the hots for Ruger's mini 14.
Such a cool rifle, so readily available, and so, well...Ruger.
Can the Mini-14 (in .223) be turned into a Sub MOA rifle? (Not that I am anywhere near good enough to notice if it wasn't!)
Would it cost so much to tune one of these that I should have bought something else to begin with?
Talk me out of buying one or tell me I'm on the right track...I'm all ears.

Comments

• Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    There are places that can do it, and in the end you spend more than it would cost to buy a sub-moa AR15.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    IowaShooterIowaShooter Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was afraid of that. Maybe I'll spring for an AR-15 and some training.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do a search here on the topic of Mini 14.
    Save up for an AR, IMHO Min 14's aren't worth the money or agrivation.

Regards,
    Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart throws a sword at you!
  • Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem with the Mini 14 and the Ranch Rifles is said to be with their accuracy. I have a Pre-Ban Folder Mini 14 SS Ranch Rifle with a 3x9x40 scope which I shoot consistently with 2 inch or less groups at 100 yards. I've been told this gun is the exception.....not the rule. If so, I am lucky I guess. I shoot Wolfe ammo through it for the most part. Maybe some Winchester or Remington, etc., might improve its accuracy. I personally don't need a rifle like this to be any more accurate than it is. It would depend on what you need it for.

Fish Shudder at the sound of my Name!
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always heard about accuracy problems with the Mini-14 but never experience any with mine or with my friends. Is there a particular year or variation that had a problem or just bias?

I have noticed that a lot of the Mini-14's on the used market are way way over priced. I feel the Mini-14 is a good firearm for the purposes it was designed for. Find a good used one at a reasonable price to trick out.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.<BR>
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a high degree of accuracy is important to you then the Mini-14 is not the gun you would be happy with. Firepower is the Mini's primary asset, assuming you can afford to buy hi-cap mags.

If you want to combine reasonable accuracy and firepower, then look to the AR's.

But if you require sub-MOA accuracy, change your wants to a bolt action.

Respectfully,
    Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm itching for a Mini 14 myself. Accuracy is an issue and some claim that they aren't quite as reliable as they could be. I suspect you'll want a new barrel and a trigger job to deal with accuracy. Most of the problems with the Mini 14 are usually associated with less than desirable parts and accessories--there's a lot of junk out there. My guess is that cheapo mags are the reason for malfunctions--isn't that almost always the problem?!?!?!?!

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are fun for plinking and mine has always been reliable, accuracy is an issue. Do yourself a favor and opt for a Mini 30 over a Mini 14.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    SG&A , INC.SG&A , INC. Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had quite a few that were either trade ins or used guns I bought from customers. I test fire all weapons I buy prior to displaying them for sale. I had one that shot 3/4" groups at 100 meters but the average was more like 3 to 4". I did not try anything but ball ammo for the tests so I can't say that the others could not be capable of better results. If you feel that you need a weapon that will give you fairly good results out of the box with quality ammo you might consider the Colt HBAR.
    My humble opinion!

STAY SAFE
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IowaShooter:

I welcome a fellow Iowan to these boards. What part of the state?

I love the Mini for what it is: an inexpensive rifle for all-around use. The accuracy is good enough for most preditor control, no matter how many legs. I like the stainless so I do not have to worry about sweating in a car trunk, etc.. If something happens to a Mini, no great loss. Another advantage is that a Mini does not look so evil to non-gun people. I prefer the wood stock for that reason.

Has any stainless Mini fan found which brand of silver scope matches the color of the rings (Ranch) and rifle the best? Any information on this subject will be appreciated. (The scope color burning issue has been bothering me for quite a while, but I have never taken the time to post the question as a topic. Now is my chance!)
  • Options
    raskilraskil Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JudgeColt,
    A pepper laminated stock with a matte black scope looks very good, and the stock will be stronger than the factory stock anyway.
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only Mini I still own (well, it's actually not a Mini) is a Ruger AC-556K. It has a 12" barrel, folding stock, and will shoot semi, 3-shot bursts, and full auto. Now that gun will give you the hots!

Rafter-S
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    If you want to do what you can to improve the accuracy of a standard Mini14, the last of these three links may be helpful. The other two have some good info as well.

http://www.ulster.net/~jperz/mini14.htm

http://accuracysystemsinc.com/

http://www.bajaarizona.org/mini14/mini14.htm

To err is human, to moo is bovine.