In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&K Claw mount

seancodyseancody Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for a removable scope mount for an H&K 91. I remember that the H&K claw mount would return to zero as advertised.

Does nayone have experience w/ the B-Square mount?

What is the average price for a H&K claw mount for a HK91.

How do you tell if its worth the price and not an after market toy?

Did the original; H&K claw mount have a weaver base on it?

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    sean, you picked a very good time to be looking for a scope mount for your HK-91. There are many German 4-power surplus scopes with the factory HK rail mount on the market. CDNN and Southern Ohio Gun are all offering these scopes as are others. The prices generally are under $400 complete and that is a true bargan!

HK offered two very distinctive "Claw type" scope mounts for their rifles. The first type had 30mm rings and inserts which could reduce the diameter down to 26mm or 1". I have one of these mounts for my HK- Zeiss 1.5X6 police scope and it is a solid unit. The other factory mount used the NATO STANAG "rail" mount. There were no rings, instead the scope had a block (rail) on the bottom which was secured with two large screws which passed through the mount and into the scopes rail. I have these on both a Hendsoldt and Steiner 4 power. A nice set up for fast shooting at close ranges. All of these items cost a small fortune when purchased 20 years ago!

There were no HK factory mounts for Weaver rings, except that I seem to remember HK offering the ARMS mount for a brief time. The ARMS unit is a near clone of the HK factory mount and allows the use of the STANAG rail as well as grooves for Weaver type rings. I use this same mount for my ELTRO/Zeiss infra red night vision sight and it is just about as good as the factory (hard to tell the diffences). B-Square HK mounts are junk- at least in my opinion.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is the mount I was looking at. Do you recognize this type?

Also, is the scope/mount offered through SOG a good scope optically speaking?

Can the scope be removed from the mount and a night scope installed?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is the mount I was looking at. Do you recognize this type?

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=6794964

Also, is the scope/mount offered through SOG a good scope optically speaking?

Can the scope be removed from the mount and a night scope installed?
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto on the B-Square mounts ... JUNK! Also beware of the claw mounts that are selling for $60-$100 ... these are made of an alloy for Air Soft guns and wont stand up to the recoil of a real firearm.

As Mark pointed out the German 4-power surplus scopes with the factory HK rail mount that CDNN and Southern Ohio Gun are offering are great buy's. He failed to mentioned you can get Stanag rings for the mount if you want more scope than the 4X which is the way I went for a clone I built, I think they look good, are easy to change out and still retain the zero even when taking the scope from the mount as the rings are retained by a cap screw ... just don't take the rings off the scope and expect to hold zero [:o)]

ritesidefull.jpg

Occasionally you'll see just the mounts for sale without the scope, but not often. Until a huge lot of surplus came in recently, the price for the mounts alone were $300-$400 and $700 if you wanted a factory scope.

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sean -
    That "Low-Boy" mount looks exactly like the air-soft mount ... not saying this one is, but it is IDENTICAL When I first saw them, I thought they were a GR8 DEAL for $44.95 ...

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    NO GERMAN WOULD EVER ADMIT TO MAKING THAT MOUNT! Yuch. It looks to me like one of the Chinese copies that have been flooding the market for the past few years. If I remember right SOG is offering the KAPS scopes which are top quality optics, although not well known in the States. I think KAPS were imported briefly in the late fifties or early sixties. They have a wide following in Europe where they are considered one of the newer optics companies- only in business since 1958. The HK rail mount will accept any NATO STANAG optical setup; that means anything with the two screws running up through the mount and into the optics. ARMS also makes a reverse adaptor to convert STANAG to Weaver- at least I think they do???? I been involved in HK firearms for 25 years, what EXACTLY do you want to do as far as optics are concerned? Tell me more and I can give you better suggestions.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    CZECHMATE2CZECHMATE2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes,ARMS does make a mount to convert from stanag to Weaver. I have one that came with my FNC scope mount. I have no use for it as I am looking for a Stanag mounted scope for my FNC.I think that the converter rail goes for about $70.