In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hitman#1-Blue vs. stainless & .44 Mag. ballistics

BudBud Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
Hey,

Been out of town for a week or so. Yesterday I scanned the back posts. I noticed that no one mentioned the heat resistance of stainless vs. standard.

If you shoot a lot stainless will give better barrel(throat) life, all things being equal. Barrels don't wear out they burn out. The throat burns out less fast with stainless and has better check resistance in the first couple inches of barrel. This means a lot(to me) if I have an accurate barrel and want to keep it that way as long as possible.

Our family have three 94 Marlin .44 Mags. and two Super Blackhawks. I have a buddy who owns one of each. We use them(the rifles) for Blacktail in the thick stuff, vine maple, blackberry, and alder thickets. I'm not talking about shooting through brush. We use them with one power(no magnification) scopes and Weaver Quick Points because they are super fast getting off an accurate shot at close range.

I started off(1973)using 240 grain bullets and found that, with a good hit, I was doing a lot of blood trailing(no energy transfer, no expansion). In Western Oregon we have the thickets I spoke of in proximity to canyons that have no bottom. I much prefer to do my trailing before I pull the trigger. Enter the 180 grain bullet.

We got hold of some "Super-Vel" factory loads that electrocuted deer. They also tried to stick in the chambers and flattened primers, dead flat and extruded. We used these for a few years til we couldn't get them. Super-Vel had gone out of business. This probably saved us some grief but they were tough to do without. Hit a deer in the chest at 50 yards and under and it fell in it's tracks. No more Super-Vels, hello 180 gr. Sierra.

I still use the old Sierra book circa 1978. We have one hunting load for Marlins and another for Super Blackhawks.

Marlin w/ 20" barrel: 29 gr. H110 with mag primers, polished expander for a tight fit and a good roll crimp. H110 is hard to light.

Ruger Super Blackhawk w/ 7 1/2" barrel: 30 gr. H110 with mag. primers and the same tight grip on the bullet.

Neither load shows excessive pressure IN OUR GUNS and I didn't write this recipe backwards. In our guns, loads that show no pressure in the Rugers MUST be backed off in the Marlins. Who'd a thunk it? YOU MUST WORK UP AND LOOK FOR PRESSURE!!! DO NOT, UNDER ANY CONDITIONS, USE THESE LOADS IN A MODEL 29. Ask me how I know.

Hope this helps.

Bud