In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opinion of Walther K22 pistol, Beretta U2

easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
Any one read any articles reviewing this pistol. Will a current owner comment on his/her experience with it. Saw my first one today at the gunshow just north of Cincinnati.

Looks CUTE! Had a comfortable grip, accessory rail under the 4" barrel, controls in good location, and a compact size. I want one!! ...or the Beretta U2 (is that the right name?).

Just something to carry as I take walks in the field or while fishing the local streams.

SEMPER FI

Comments

• Options
    kathy hugheskathy hughes Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one of the Walther K22s. I shot several magazines of different ammo.. They recomend only high velocity. I did not shoot a magazine without a malfunction. I have read several post since and this is what every body else had to say also. I thought Walther was quality and this gun was packaged so well. I saw the gun first in American Handgunner and thought it would be the perfect trail gun. I traded the thing the next week, after only one shooting session and was glad I came out well on that trade. I saw the Beretta last week while Christmas shopping. UGLY. Try a Ruger Mk11. I have owned two and never had a malfunction.

greg hughes
  • Options
    easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Greg,
    I REALLY like the design, grip, and appearance of the K22. Too bad you and several others have had bad experiences with it. I'll keep looking.

SEMPER FI
  • Options
    bpd1329bpd1329 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by easygo6
    Any one read any articles reviewing this pistol. Will a current owner comment on his/her experience with it. Saw my first one today at the gunshow just north of Cincinnati.

Looks CUTE! Had a comfortable grip, accessory rail under the 4" barrel, controls in good location, and a compact size. I want one!! ...or the Beretta U2 (is that the right name?).

Just something to carry as I take walks in the field or while fishing the local streams.

SEMPER FI<BR>

Officer Ryan Birmingham Badge # 1329
  • Options
    bpd1329bpd1329 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had the oppertunity to shoot it and I would not buy one due to the jamming problem. I prefer a good Ruger to it anyday

Officer Ryan Birmingham Badge # 1329
  • Options
    jeandersjeanders Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Walther K22 and have had great fun with it and no jams at
    about 300 rounds. And most of these rounds were standard 22LR not
    hi-speed. I would buy another one...all good things come in pairs.
  • Options
    snowtiggersnowtigger Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger Mk11 that never jams. That was not always true. When I first got it, it jammed about every fourth shot. I kept trying different ammo until I found one that it liked. It turns out it's favorite was cheapo Federal, the kind you buy in bricks for 9.95. It also feeds Match ammo very well.
    Many 22 autoloaders are VERY finicky about what they eat. I would never discount any firearm because it jammed the first time I fired it.
    Both Walther and Beretta have been producing quality firearms since before I was born. I can't believe either would put out a dud...
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    latest issue of gun tests magazine has comparison of beretta u22 neos, s&w 22a1, walther p22.. unbiased info....million dollar mag...
  • Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought the Beretta U22 Neos about a month ago. It is a very good shooter. I like the feel and balance. It comes with a Weaver style scope rail and begs for a scope to be mounted on it. Take down is easy and it fed and ejected a number of different shells I had without a hitch. Price was a big factor for me. It was priced cheaper than a Ruger. Bad weather has kept me from trying it out more, but first impressions seem good.

Pass on the tradition, teach a kid to shoot.
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    I acquired a Walther P22 about six months ago; the longer-barrel, target version. First thing I did was to go to the manual & learn how to properly take it apart, then did exactly that. The parts are small & just about everything needed careful cleaning & relubrication before reassembly.

So far I've put probably 600 rounds thru it, using both of the supplied magazines, and have yet to experience a jam or failure-to-fire. At 25 yards I can consistently shoot 2" groups, using a red dot 'scope I mounted to a Walther add-on scope attachment I bought, after deciding the stock sights were just not suited to my eyeglass-corrected myopia. Best results have been with Winchester T22 ammo.

Make no mistake: this is a small-frame semi-auto! I regularly shoot other, more traditionally sized weapons (Super Redhawk, Desert Eagle, HK USP, etc.) & find I have to concentrate on holding the P22 with a modified, two-hand grip to get the accuracy I mentioned. It might be best suited for folks who's hands are smaller than mine, or whose shooting needs are different.
  • Options
    gissimogissimo Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got the walther and shot it for several months. It was no where near as accurate as my mark II. I sold it after it came back from the shop for the 3rd time being repaired. It was in fully functional condition when I sold it. I hope the buyer had more luck than I did. I also had a 9mm walther (ppk/s) that was absolute junk too. Recoil would cause the saftey to engage. Sights flew off under recoil on several occasuins. The walther factory fianally just replaced after 2 trips to the shop would not fix it. I sold it in new unfired condition. Walther, at least today = junk.