In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scope reccomendation............

hawaiipighunterhawaiipighunter Member Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
am looking for a reccomendation on a scope that has a nice wide view, about 1.5 to 5 magnifcation compact and lite to fit atop a winchester 9410. my use would be on pigs, at 50 yards or less. i bought a simmons shotgun scope that is compact, clear and lightweight, but the field of view sucks for moving game. i am looking at low to mid scle prices, (under 125 bucks) so that limits me to tasco weaver bsa.........

i have a nice bushnell 4x32, but it is a bit long and cumbersome. any good reccomendations?

thanks in advance.

kyle

Comments

• Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    HPH: if you can save up a little more go with a Bushnell Holosight 2 , it would be the cats meow for what you want, fits on a waver base , no field of view problems, midway catalog has them for $249 and I've seen them as low as $179 awhile back
  • Options
    edited November -1
    gskyhawk,

im not sure if it would fit on the 2 pc weaver bases im going to be using. i havent picked the gun up yet, i have it on hold, pending wifes approval (iknow, but its better than sleeping on the couch for a month, been there done that, almost lost my shirt!!!!) i would really love a nice red dot scope to top off the deal but i dont think it would mount up.

upon further investigation weaver has become expensive!!! and my current scope is a simmons shotgun 4x32 compact with pro diamond reticle. its a great scope, but i prefer a wider field of view for possible running game. i hate the "geee where is he in my scope?" game.

kyle
  • Options
    cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5 x 32mm? Sells in Cabelas for 70 bucks, has a field of fiew of 67-23 feet at 100 yards depending on power (about 4 times that of the scope you mention) overall length is about 10 inches. Ive used a larger version Banner series scope on a 30-30 as a truck gun and it has held up well over the years. I think it would meet your needs well with reasonable use. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    cwinn,

i have used the bushnell before and have found them to be a great scope for the money. just before i came back to read replies, i saw them advertised in a magazine (shotgun news) but hadnt checked the specifics on them yet.

i am definately going to look further at this scope!

kyle
  • Options
    mbrookmbrook Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would recommend the Bushnell Trophy "brush" or "Turkey" scope. It is a 1.75-4x32 with the circle X reticle. It is very bright and has a very large field of view (73'-30'). I have used these scopes on my muzzleloader and slug gun for many years and they have held up very well. Sell for 99.99 at Cabelas

"When one responsibly procures his family's dinner by hand, each meal becomes a sacred rite. It is good, and so is the feast!" --Ted Nugent
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    I'm not looking at one of those particular guns at this moment but I can't imagine not being able to mount a Holosight on it!! It only has to have one base and the eye releif is not important! You could mount it forward or rearward as it need to be!! 1MOA dot and fast aquisition! What else do you need? GHD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GHD,

i was not aware that it only required one mounting point. i had assumed (know what happens then huh?) that it would mount in two places like most other optical sights.

ill have to check it out.

kyle
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mbrook- I am looking for a scope like this for a muzzleloader. Can you describe the circle x reticle found on the Bushnell 1.75-4 Trophy? My Cabela's catalog does not show the reticles.
  • Options
    beerboybeerboy Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bushnell Banner 1-4x32 has a 78.5 ft fov@100 yards. Thats pretty good and they are reasonably priced.