In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Antique Shotgun?

bamspybamspy Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have run across an old shotgun that I cannot find any info about. It's a 12 ga single shot, with a patent date May 14, 1901. There is a name engraved on the side, which I cannot read clearly. It looks like Burt/Burl State/Slate? I may be very far off on this. Does anyone have any information that could help? I may not even be close on the name.

Thanks for any help!!

Roger

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    The only thing I can find that comes close is the State Arms Co. Single shot Shotgun. Made by the Crescent Fire Arms company for J.H.Lau & Co. c. 1900......In excellent Condition is worth $100.00
    Maybe someone has better and more currant information than I do....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    capt,
    there were also bay state single barrel shotguns. started as a seperate company then purchased by hopkin & allen and then then by harrington & richardson.
    bill
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Have'em in my database Bill.....Tnx for the heads up anyway....I'd sure like to know about this Burt or Burl or Rumplestiltskin or whatever....Did'nt think to ask the Poster to check the Water Table and see if there were any proof marks under the rear portion of the barrels...Could very well be a Belguim made gun....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Whats this about watermarks? I won't be able to check till this weekend, but if you let me know what to look for, I'll see what I can find. I'm kinda gun ignorant when it comes to firearms, so treat me like I know nothing, that will help me a lot!

Thanks

Roger
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One more thing. About the name that is etched in the side, do you know of any way to make it more readable without damaging the gun? Like something I can rub into it to make the name stand out more?
  • Options
    Tommy_2_pocketsTommy_2_pockets Member Posts: 288 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bamspy
    One more thing. About the name that is etched in the side, do you know of any way to make it more readable without damaging the gun? Like something I can rub into it to make the name stand out more?

If you can provide pictures and detailed descriptions of all the markings you can see when you disassemble the gun, it will help.

If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. If you can't pick it up, paint it.