In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

12 ga flairs

JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a boat and it has a 25mm flair gun and a bunch of 12 ga flairs. This guy knew his boats, but not guns. I was thinking of shooting them off on 4th of July. Number one, will they harm my shotgun? And, will they burn out before hitting the ground? They are 6 sec flairs. BTY, the expiration date was 1995. I am not sure what would expire?

Jim Kammerer

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim, I really don't know the answer to your question.

But, my life experience has taught me that you need to hesitate & think carefully before you do things that are out of the ordinary. Look at what you DO know: You know that flares aren't intended to be used in firearms, you know that flares can be dangerous if used improperly, & you know that many jurisdictions have restrictions on the use of incendiaries (especially on July 4th). You know that nothing good can come of this experiment. And, you know that something that you & I & all the others on this forum couldn't possibly have anticipated could happen.

I suggest that you put your flares in the can with your ordinary trash, & go to your local public fireworks display & enjoy being a spectator.

Neal
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Normally they won't be harmfull to your gun.
    But just be aware, that some of the chemicals in the flare, might colour /corrode your gun, depending on the colour of the flare (different chemicals).

Just clean and oil after you've used a lot.

Since they don't develop that much pressure, I'm sure they'd go jus fine in the gun they came with.

I've had white, red, yellow and green flares for 12 gauge - never had problem.
    But they can start a fire, if they're not shot upwards. (60degrees+ from horisontal.)

The expirationdate is merely there as a measure for 100% reliability - if you use them for security-related uses, like emergency-flares/signals, you're on your own if you choose to use it after the expirationdate.

I'm quite sure it will ignite and signal properly well after the expirationdate if stored correctly - but it can't be guaranteed.

If your life depends on it - try not to use expired flares.
    Is your life worth the few dollars? You might only get one chance to send up a flare - you might have plenty time to use them all.

1.gif
    Polarbears walk a lonely path

Got a surprise for ya' -> Raid1 and Raid2

Wanna see somethin' scary.? -> Click here
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    does it say on the shell, 12 ga?
    is the gun that you intend to shoot it with say 12ga?
    12ga in 12ga is ok.
    no it wont hurt a gun, but you should clean the gun asap after.

but if you intend to shoot a shell marked 25mm out of a gun marked 12ga, youre looking for trouble.

i just looked at about25 different euro shells in my collection and they all say 24mm.

i would not do it.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    I would'nt do it! Flares contain Magnesium...and it has a propencity for burning Metal...especially Shotgun Barrels....because of the length of time the BURNING projectile is traveling the length of the Bore...The 12 gauge Flares DO NOT have parachutes attached....37mm Flares do...and ignite at apogee....as to where the standard West Marine, Coast Guard Approved 12 Ga.Flares ignite at the moment of firing....I have several packs of Flares that are Out Dated which I have to replace every 24 months on My Boat....The reason being that to make sure that all emergency Equipment is in Prime Condition and has a better chance of working correctly the Coast Guard makes sure that all equipment is subject for inspection at anytime the Vessel is at Sea or on the Waters of Rivers and or Lakes....Heaven Help You if You get Caught firing an Emergency Flare in the Sky...! You'll be subject to Arrest and Incarceration Plus a Big Fine...Some flares also can still be burning when it hits the ground or water...Some terrible Fires have been started by a prank...One 4th of July back about 30 years ago, over at Catalina Island a Party Revelor Popped a Flare into the Sky...It continued to Burn all the way down down and into a 45 Foot Sail Boat's Cockpit....Don't recall the amount of damage caused....but No One Killed....just Burned a bit...and the Guy that shot off the Flare was Paid a Visit by the owner of the Sail Boat.....and was promptly Beat to a Pulp......So as previously explained to you by other Posters....Just Forget it!!!! You won't regret it.....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    mallardmallard Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    good morning jax,

do not even consider it unless you are in the middle of one of the seven seas and actually have an problem.

i have seen hand/parachute flares set off during fire/boat drills. most went well, twice they almost set the ship. it was a real fire emergency/drill.

they are not fire crackers.

enjoy the rest of memorial day,

mallard
  • Options
    JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all that answered, They are in the trash.

Jim Kammerer
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for some reason i was thinking you were talking about those shot flares that glow when you play skeet at night and burn out fairly quickly.
    if you are talking bonified 200' apogee flares, its illegal to fire them w/o an emergency.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    PrebanpartsPrebanparts Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it the best idea to chuck these potentially hazardous materials in the trash WITHOUT NEUTRALIZING THEM? i THINK THE BEST THING IS TO SOAK THEM IN WATER OR SOMEHOW NEUTRALIZE THEM BEFORE THEY CAUSE A TRASH TRUCK TO BURN UP!
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had some once, and give them to a guy who lived across the street from my bar, he had a party, and decided to shoot them off, and it caught the field next to his house on fire, funniest thing you ever saw 25-30 bikers out there with their colors trying to hit the flames
  • Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    JAK -

Sorry you threw them away. They are required here in power boats over 15 ft long - possibly the same where you are - probably why they were in the boat in the first place.

They can be dangerous fire starters since they are originally designed for watercraft. No problems when that burning flare lands in Lake Pontchartrain.

And as for the shotgun, I have heard of a burned up muzzle (maybe 10" of muzzle) They are made to get out of that short red plastic barrel - they do not do well in a shotgun - I would never try that.

Scrue the AARP - I'm going to live forever or die trying.