In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pen Gun - legal?

moreammoplzmoreammoplz Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
edited June 2005 in Ask the Experts
I was a at a show last week and saw a pen gun on the table. The pen would unscrew in half and looked to take maybe a .32 round???(not sure). Top of pen would pull back and then on the side of the pen had a button to fire. Are pen guns legal? It was only about 6 inches long. It looked very old and did not have a brand name on it.

"Shoot Straight and Shoot often."

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the gun in question was probably a .22, though apparently .32 auto versions were made.

There is a legal one of these that the ATF ruled is legal because it has to be bent into the shape of a gun before firing.

http://pengun.com/

But you can rest assured that even those will be banned sooner rather than later:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,113259,00.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The hole at the end of the pen and in the middle was too big for a .22. Thanks for the info.
    Mike

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's possible that what you saw, was originally made as a tear gas dispenser, rather then a firearm. They were made and sold in the form you describe, in this country, as late as the 1960's.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    wolfdog45wolfdog45 Member Posts: 584
    edited November -1
    I have seen a pen gun like the one you described. It had no markings and it looked like it may have been home made.

Veritas vincit "Truth conquers"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This one was silver looking with some wear. Looked rather old. I did unscrew it and it didn't look homemade. Not sure about the tear gas, but in looking at the insides I am almost sure it must have used a centerfire round. Guy was asking $200 for it and didn't know what caliber it was either. I didn't see any serial numbers so that is why I held off. Wish I took a pic.

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moreammoplz
    This one was silver looking with some wear. Looked rather old. I did unscrew it and it didn't look homemade. Not sure about the tear gas, but in looking at the insides I am almost sure it must have used a centerfire round. Guy was asking $200 for it and didn't know what caliber it was either. I didn't see any serial numbers so that is why I held off. Wish I took a pic.

Perhaps it's best that you didn't buy it. Nowadays these types of "Pen Guns" are of questionable legality, "IF" they are able to chamber a conventional cartridge or shell.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Yea..they're legal. as long as it is the shape of a pistol.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=32695392
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote from the ATF website.

quote:(M1) The types of firearms that must be registered in the National Firearm Registration and Transfer Record are defined in the NFA and in 27 CFR Part 179.

Some examples of the types of firearms that must be registered are:
    "Any other weapons."

A few examples of "any other weapon" are:
    Cane guns; and,
    Gadget-type firearms and "pen" guns which fire fixed ammunition.

An unregistered NFA firearm is a contraband firearm and it is unlawful to possess the weapon.

(M8) What can happen to someone who has an NFA firearm which is not registered to him?
    Violators may be fined not more than $250,000, and imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both. In addition, any vessel, vehicle or aircraft used to transport, conceal or possess an unregistered NFA firearm is subject to seizure and forfeiture, as is the weapon itself.
    Still want to buy one?

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    drdoolittle_1drdoolittle_1 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And they transfer for $5 instead of $200!!!!!
  • Options
    jnmiller75jnmiller75 Member Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:drdoolittle_1 Posted - 05/31/2005 : 5:57:15 PM
    And they transfer for $5 instead of $200!!!!!

Only if it has been registered. If not, then there is no way to get it registered now.