In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1911A1 - Worth & parts ?

prplhayesprplhayes Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited June 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have a M1911A1 US ARmy pistol made by the Remington Rand Inc company.
has a FJA stamp and a #176845. Anyone estimate on the value of this one?

Also, needs a magazine and a grip. Any leads on where to get replacement parts?

Thanks much.

Comments

• Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on condition, assuming original finish grips, etc. 750- 1500+

Look them up on the gb auction site in past auctions
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello are you sure of the serial number if it is 6 digits starting 17xxxx then this is a Colt frame with a blue finish made 1917 . REM UMC made 1911 type pistols starting 1918. if by chance it is a 7 digit serial starting 17XXXXX then your pistol is a ITHACA frame made 1944 that should be parkerized and REM. RAND made pistols during this time frame but not with beganing serial of 176XXXX. many pistols were stripped for repair and cleaning with little reguards on keeping the parts matching . This is more of a shooter than collector unit but this said ANY GI 45 will bring $450.00 plus mismatched or not."PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN"
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you go back a week on this forum, you can find photos of the brown bakelite replacement grips that are appropriate for a rebuilt gun. You should be a able to find them on the online auctions or at some gun shows; don't pay a lot for them.

Check the same places for a magazine. Any WWII contract magazine should be fine; they are blue, with the only marking a letter on the top &/or bottom of the tip of the bottom plate. Don't pay > $10-15.

Neal
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    This could well be an original, and not a parts gun.

FJA (Col. Frank J. Atwood) inspected Remington Rand pistols from June 15, 1942 until March 31, 1946.

Your M1911A1 should have seven numbers, not six, and is probably in the range of 1743847 to 1816641, indicating a 1944 Remington-Rand manufacture date.
  • Options
    wolfdog45wolfdog45 Member Posts: 584
    edited November -1
    nice gun. thinking of selling?

Veritas vincit "Truth conquers"
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are correct, the complete number is 1768450

? what do you mean by ...parkerized and REM... ?

Thx.

quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello are you sure of the serial number if it is 6 digits starting 17xxxx then this is a Colt frame with a blue finish made 1917 . REM UMC made 1911 type pistols starting 1918. if by chance it is a 7 digit serial starting 17XXXXX then your pistol is a ITHACA frame made 1944 that should be parkerized and REM. RAND made pistols during this time frame but not with beganing serial of 176XXXX. many pistols were stripped for repair and cleaning with little reguards on keeping the parts matching . This is more of a shooter than collector unit but this said ANY GI 45 will bring $450.00 plus mismatched or not."PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you - I will.

quote:Originally posted by Xracer
    This could well be an original, and not a parts gun.

FJA (Col. Frank J. Atwood) inspected Remington Rand pistols from June 15, 1942 until March 31, 1946.

Your M1911A1 should have seven numbers, not six, and is probably in the range of 1743847 to 1816641, indicating a 1944 Remington-Rand manufacture date.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I do not have grips or a mag on it (yet) - - I can send a photo.
    Email me at borkman@gmail.com if you are interested.

quote:Originally posted by wolfdog45
    nice gun. thinking of selling?

Veritas vincit "Truth conquers"
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I stand corrected my information from 2 different scorces are not the same"WHAT ELSE IS NEW". there was a segment of serial No. that were REM RAND from 1743847 - 1816641 THIS BY CLAWSON BOOK the other book by LARRY HACKER says this serial range should be made by ITHACA. PARKERIZED FINISH IS A DULL GRAY or GREENISH .