In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Warne Rings?

elkcrazyfredelkcrazyfred Member Posts: 181 ✭✭
edited June 2005 in Ask the Experts
What is the scoop on Warne double lever rings? Worth the price? What is the recoil shoulder? These have this and those have that and then those are discontinued and different too? Where can a guy go to get the low down?

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have not tried the "double lever" rings, but I have Warnes on several rifles and they are top notch bases/rings. Very strong.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think warne stuff is priced right. Good quality at a reasonable price. I see where they have come out with a 1 peice picatini rail in either 0 or 20MOA cant that is stress releived, cold drawn steel. Same goes for their tactical rings. I look foreward to maybe trying a set as my other warne products have been great.

A recoil shoulder is the cross-bolt which can be seen under the ring running from side to side. That peice of steel fits the weaver style cross slotted base, and before tightening is shoved foreward and held under pressure while it is tightened to the base, so as to eliminate any slippage in the future. Nice large recoil shoulders make for solid ring/base relationships.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    vepr762vepr762 Member Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just mounted a Weaver V-16 on my Volquartsen using Warne rings. I am very impressed with the quality, scope fit, and how solidly they mounted on the rifle.

On plinkers with inexpensive scopes I use inexpensive rings, but I learned the hard way once about mounting a precision scope, on a precision rifle, using the least expensive rings that I could find. Something as simple as rings do make a difference.
  • Options
    cody45cody45 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Warne rings came in two different versions after the Kimber of Oregon period. Maxima and Premier so we are talking apples and oranges.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little history.....years ago the late great gunsmith Leonard Brownell designed and introduced the quick detach lever rings and bases. These were later picked up by Kimber and others such as Dave Talley. Rings from either are highly prized and sought after. After Kimber went bankrupt in the 90's only Talley offered these until Warne came along. Talley's are more elegant and sleek, Warne's (Maxima) are bulkier and have a lug on the bottom to fit weaver style bases. Warne discontined their "Premier" series and only offer the "Maxima" series. If money is no object...go with the Talley Rings, you won't be disappointed.

Dave Talley Rings http://www.talleyrings.com/qd.htm
    qdringswithlevers_054.jpg

Warne (note underlug on base of ring) http://www.warnescopemounts.com/default.asp
    maxima.jpg
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As said before, Warne's rings are excellent. Still, all rings do are hold the scope in place without slipping or canting. So the real issue is how much recoil do your rings have to manage. Rings on a 243 mountain rifle don't have handle the load that a 300WinMag would need. On my harder kicking magnums I use Warne Maxima rings (their Weaver pattern)and they seem to work out well. On lesser kicking rifles I generally use Weaver's 4x4 aluminum rings with excellent results. Other brand of good repute, that I have used in the past are Burris and Leupold. For bases I use Warne's steel Maxima bases on most every rifle that I own. If I were to pick up something really high end, I might decide to go with Talley, if they made bases for it.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I put a set on my Rem700 in 7mm Mag, I think their well made.
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Great rings but what a bunch of azzholes to deal with. I have a set of Warne QDs that I ordered a base for directly from Warne for a LH Savage Tactical in 300 WM. Shipping was prompt but they sent the wrong base. When I contacted them they informed me that they DO NOT make mistakes and I must be mistaken. What a bunch of sanctimonious *. Same answer from two different people. That did it for me. NO MORE!!!

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    punchie,..ask for technical service and ask the dimensions of the correct part number. Measure yours as they state the dimensions, and if it doesn't match, take the tech guys name, and call back with your "improperly packaged" product complaint along with the agreement of one of their own. They hate that[;)]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?